🜛The Silver Wolf 🜛

(A/N: Art is from Pinterest)

~ Two and a half years later ~

Fukuzawa is a lone swordsman again as if he never joined the military. In his effort to stave off his enjoyment of killing, he turns to saving and guarding. And by this time he's built quite a reputation as a bodyguard, getting his pick of clients, the above board and the below. Most of the jobs are boring, almost relaxing.

Adrift.

One thing has changed though, the thought of a surgeon, his student and his ability, in the back of his mind.

He often wonders what Mori is doing, and what became of Akiko after the war. Are they alright?

So here he sits, gazing out the window from the new cafe that just opened, a place called Uzumaki. The rest of the building above it is still unfinished, but the tea is excellent so he can't complain.

It's then that a man approaches him. He's older than Fukuzawa, in his 50s, Fukuzawa guessed. His hair appears to be three different colours, orange, grey and white. Looking almost like . . . a calico cat.

"Hello, Fukuzawa-san. Lovely afternoon is it not?"

"Yes?"

"I am Natsume Souseki. I have a job for you, one I hope you'll find more exciting than your others." he says before Fukuzawa has to ask.

"I do not take jobs from third parties unless you want me to guard you then please have the client contact me directly." he gives his usual spiel, but the man just smiles.

He sips the coffee he ordered and then continues, "There's an ambitious back alley surgeon who I think might interest you. I hope to work with him in the future to establish a new sort of framework in the city, but for that, I need him alive, however, his position makes him a constant target."

"I understand that you want me to guard him, but as I said before, if you wish to use my services, have him contact me and I'll make the arrangements."

Natsume chuckles. "I assume you'd like his name and information?"

"Yes." Fukuzawa deadpans.

"Here," he hands a sheet of folded paper with address details written on it "The man I wish for you to protect lives here in Yokohama, in the industrial district currently claimed by the Port Mafia."

"And his name?" Fukuzawa asks, getting impatient.

"Of course! How could I forget . . . his name is Mori Ougai."

Fukuzawa's tea mug crashes to the floor shattering, his eyes widening. Natsume says nothing, merely placing bills on the counter. Probably to cover the cost of the mug seeing as they've both paid for their orders.

"Go."

"Thank you, Natsume-san."

With that Fukuzawa darts out of the cafe, address info in hand.

-

When he reaches the clinic there's no one there. The door is ajar. Fukuzawa notices a note slipped in the mail slot. He takes it.

It reads: South American Outlaws

Fukuzawa recognises the English words because of his last job dealing with a gang leader. An outlaw group has been going around causing chaos in Yokohama. They are headquartered near the meatpacking district.

-

Fukuzawa finds the sloppily hidden base easily, taking down the 27 poorly trained guards in minutes.