Mori Ougai and His Bodyguard

(A/N: Art isn't mine, it's from Pinterest)

~ One year later ~

The two of them did eventually come to realise that they craved a relationship deeper than a simple partnership. Both are able to understand each other so deeply it's as if they can read each other's very souls, a bond of friendship, loyalty, connection and love, beyond anything else.

The two men are now known as one, ShiroKuro, meaning WhiteBlack, after their distinctively contrasting hair colours. Yokohama's criminal world trembles at the name.

With Ougai's information wallet fat enough to buy the loyalty of more than half of Yokohama's criminals and his and Yukichi's lethal skills the two have risen to the top, just as they did in the military. They remove unnecessary pieces, from petty criminals to lesser known gangs, terraforming the chess board for a plan formed by Natsume Souseki . . . the Tripartite Framework.

2 ½ of 3 pieces are in place, the Special Operations Division for Unusual Powers and Port Mafia, which just needs a new leader, a fresh new face to set things in order.

Now ShiroKuro are only one step below the top.

It's almost comical timing when the red-headed mafia assassin comes to their door.

Ougai opens the clinic door, smiling.

The assassin in question is a young girl who looks at most a year older than Ougai's own eldest daughter. She wears a black kimono, making the red of her hair, eyes and warrior-like makeup stand out even further.

"Good morning, Mori-san. My boss wants to speak with you."

He can tell from her gaze that it's not a request. He starts to call out for Yukichi, but her blade is at his throat, a blur of silver, if he moves an inch his life force will come spilling out violently.

"Only you, the guard dog, stay home." Her voice is fierce and low, not lady-like at all.

"So be it, are we walking or driving?"

She says nothing, pulling him towards a sleek black car.

-

Akiko, who'd been peeking her head around the corner, obscured by a stack of boxes, runs to get her Papa.

She's offended when he isn't startled at all.

"As much as I dislike the idea of Ougai alone with the Port Mafia boss, this is necessary. We've been waiting for this for a while, for the Port Mafia to take notice of us."

He tells her no more, not of his and Ougai's late-night whisperings of joining the Mafia themselves.

-

The Port Mafia Headquarters is a single black building, the tallest in Yokohama, piercing the sky with its darkness. It was built as part of a five-building complex until the Boss bought one and the other four went to other conglomerates.

The young assassin leads Ougai through the corridors with almost silent footsteps. She knocks on the door to the Boss's chambers but doesn't follow Ougai inside when the wooden door opens. She stands guard outside, her two blades at the ready.

The Boss doesn't stand to greet him, instead beckoning him over.

"Ah, Mori Ougai, the Kuro in ShiroKuro. What a—" the Boss stops to cough roughly into a handkerchief, "pleasure to meet you at last."

Ougai makes no comment on the coughing but takes note of it for later.

"The pleasure is all mine, sir."

"Oh, do sit down."

Ougai complies, scanning the sparse office.

"What a wonderful view."

"Indeed. I have a job proposition where you could see a lot more of it."

"Oh?"

"Yes, I have become rather ill, become my personal physician and I will double your salary."

To be honest the offer hadn't been what Ougai was expecting, he was hoping for an offer to work as an assassin, but this is even better.

The Mafia Boss wants Ougai under his thumb because he is afraid of ShiroKuro. He hopes to pretend to be more frail than he is to test Ougai's loyalties, but he underestimates the severity of his illness.

The young doctor thinks for a moment. "I would like to . . . as long as I get to keep Fukuzawa-dono as my bodyguard." Ougai says, allowing the honorific to do the work for him.

"dono" is an honorific so formal that the Boss assumes what anyone would, what Ougai counts on him assuming: the fact that he and Yukichi barely know each other, a simple work beneficial alliance. If he knew the true nature of their relationship, their loyalty to each other then he would never let Yukichi join the mafia, the risk of betrayal being too high.

"Of course, being a Port Mafia physician is a dangerous job after all."

"And you give safe haven to my daughters as well."

"Done. You start tomorrow."

As Ougai leaves he hears the vicious hacking coming from the office. He smiles. With the sick man playing right into his hands, this will be all too easy

-

"I work for the Port mafia now? I have no problem treating criminals, but what if the Port Mafia just wants to use us?" Akiko's breathing is heavy.

"No. Only I do. You will not have to use your ability, you don't have to do anything for them at all. But now you are under their protection and that is a priceless thing. Though with the state they're in you must still be careful."

"And what about the clinic?"

"You are not old enough to work here by yourself, I'm closing it. When you come of age and have the correct credentials you may start your own legitimate practice if you wish."

"Okay, I trust you, Dad."

-

That night they all help pack up and close the clinic.

And after dinner, as Yuki and Ougai sit together in Ougai's small office, sharing a bottle of whiskey, Yuki asks, "So it's all going to plan, then?"

And Ougai answers, "Better than."

And they know that no matter what happens, they'll be together, their own sort of family, and that's more than okay.