Chapter 10: Family Celebrations and Conversations

Hermione sat back with a sigh. Lesson planning for Hogwarts was exhausting but she knew she'd be thanking herself later for putting the work in now. McGonagall had sent her copies of last year's lessons under Binns so she'd know what the upper classes had already covered. She figured she'd probably be doing a lot of catch up work with the older students depending on how well they had retained the information. She picked up her water tumbler and took a long drink. She had decided to come back down to the conservatory after Gadsby had informed her that there was a desk set up for her if she desired it. The sun was bright and the lighting was excellent. A Jasmine vine that was growing exponentially faster than normal from the intense magic that filled the room had been creeping its way across the floor toward her chair all morning. It finally made it and began climbing up the back of her chair and just in the last half hour made it to her shoulder. It sent out an array of blossoms that opened up beside her cheek now. She lifted a hand to it to hold it close to her face for a moment, a tiny brief embrace. "aw, thank you." She said softly to the room in general. The house seemed to vibrate happily whenever she was in the conservatory and she loved the soothing way the magic reached for her in there.

She took a deep breath and dove back into her work after a minute of peaceful contemplation.

Draco knocked on the open conservatory door a bit after lunch, "Professor." he called, "Professor Granger, ma'am." Hermione looked up and twisted to see who was there, he grinned at her, "I'm off to the office until pick up time, I'll get Rose and Scorpius before I come home."

"Alright. Thank you Draco." she waved distractedly at him and turned back to her books.

Rose chucked her backpack on the bench beside the floo and started to dash out of Draco's office when he called her back.

"That isn't how we treat our things Rosamundo. Try again, please." she sighed and set her things to rights as she had been shown. They only had two weeks left of school and she was looking forward to summer break, especially since her mother told her they'd be staying at the Manor until the next school year started. Scorpius finished before she did, since he'd put his things away properly the first time, and dashed out the door ahead of her giggling. They were racing to see who could find Hermione first.

"I bet I know where she is!" Scorpius laughed in her mind. She huffed another sigh and blocked her friend from her mind as she turned bright eyes on Draco. "Drake, where was mum earlier?" she asked as she walked to the door, "down in the conservatory." he said half distracted as he sorted through the mail that had been set on the blotter on his desk. "Thank you." Rose replied, her consonants clipped, Draco glanced up as she left the room. "And there goes the badger and the snake." he shook his head as he heard Rose take off running down the hall, the door to his office banging shut behind her.

Rose went straight down to the conservatory, sensing Scorpius' mind further away- he'd gone to the library first, she was sure. The Conservatory was empty though, and there wasn't any knocking on her mind from Scorpius laughing about having found her mother in the library so she turned toward the kitchen next. No luck there either, nor in the garden and Rose called for her there. She reached out to Scorpius' mind.

"Any luck?"

"Nope. She's not in the library or parlor."

Rose was walking back into the house,

"Not in the conservatory, kitchen or garden either." she sent back. Both Draco and Hermione had taught them to not invade their parent's minds unless it was an emergency, and this, while concerning, was not an emergency.

"Music room?" Scorpius suggested

"You check there. I'm going to ask Maudsley." she pulled the kitchen door open and called for Maudsley