Seven, Just A Kiss

Elliana was reading when she heard a knock on the door. She was up in her room, and her mom was in the kitchen, so naturally her mom got the door. She heard her mother talking, and then an indistinct male voice. She closed her book and bounded down the stairs to see who it was.

"Oh... hi, Elliana." Jason said from the doorway.

Elliana's mom looked at her, silently asking if she should slam the door in his face. Elliana shook her head, and she could see the relief in her mom's features.

"Hi... uh... can I talk to you, Elliana."

Elliana mulled this over. She didn't want to talk to him. She didn't even let herself think of him nowadays, she just pushed him out of her mind. It was kind of hard to push someone out of your vicinity when it wasn't all in your head. And yet... she didn't want to seem like she wasn't over it. He clearly was, so she should be too... right?

"Sure." She muttered.

Another silent conversation with her mom. They made facial expressions to channel their words, and Elliana assured her mother that it was okay.

"Okay." She smiled and moved back to the kitchen.

Jason looked confused.

"Come on up." She said and led him to her room.

He closed the door and leaned against it. She sat down on her bed, which was the farthest point from the door. She practically had to yell for him to hear her.

"Why are you here, Jason?" She sighed.

"I... did something. That I think you should know about. Because, uh... I don't know. Because we, uh, were together."

She rolled her eyes, masking her sadness with annoyance. "We're not together anymore. Do whatever you want."

"I kissed Ryan." He said, the words spoken quickly and jumbled.

Elliana was shocked at the confession. "You did what?" She asked.

"I... kissed her. I don't know why."

Elliana thanked the heavens that she was sitting down, because she was pretty sure she would've collapsed if she'd be standing. She felt a physical punch in the gut. She tried to avoid doubling over from the pain, but she still placed a hand by her heart and groaned lightly.

It wasn't even that he'd kissed someone. At least, not just that. He'd kissed Ryan. Literally her mortal enemy. The one person she hated with her whole being. It was the worst thing she'd ever heard.

"Really? You kissed her?" She asked.

"It's not that she sucks." He said defensively.

"You're sounding like that..." She paused to avoid a curse word. "Like how you were when you lost your memories."

He flinched. "It's not that I'm picking her over you, if that's what you mean."

"I mean, you're dating her and not me. Seems as simple as that."

"No... I..." She could tell he was trying hard to find words, but it finished with a sigh. "We're not dating, uh, exactly." He rubbed the back of his neck.

"Seriously, Jason. We're not even dating. Why would you tell me this?"

Her words sounded like she was annoyed with him, but she was asking it truly. Why would he do this? Was he trying to drag her heart through the mud, after she'd just finished rebuilding it from the last time he'd broken it.

"I... I was just thinking you should know."

"I don't care! I don't care about you anymore!"

Lies, lies, lies.