Eight

A/N: this chapter is in Reborn's perspective. Unbetaed as usual.

Edited on June 13, 2023

Eight

Something had changed.

Ever since Reborn returned 10 days ago, the hitman immediately spotted the signs from his student.

It made something squirm, churn with discomfort in his stomach. Adding that look, it reminded him of the future-that-could-have-been. But in Tsuna’s eyes, it was something more. It was similar and yet vastly different from the way Bianchi saw him.

The hitman meticulously observed even as he acted the same. Tsuna was still no good in some areas. He still stutter, still clumsy on his feet. His words were still the same, but it gained a softer and fond undertone. The brunet dealt with his Lightning Guardian not with the usual begrudging acceptance but as if he was an exasperated and affectionate older brother showing he had fully embraced his role towards the child without complaint. His body language was still the same, dodging before running away when his Cloud Guardian was threatening to bite him to death. Tsuna was still blushing from time to time–albeit lesser now–when he was talking with Kyoko and Haru.

The way he treated everyone was the same. But his happiness was obvious, he didn’t hold back on his affection, like an open sky.

Then there were times when he would suddenly get lost in his own thoughts and when questioned he would shake his head. His shoulders tense, and hands balled up with worry and a few times of repressed anger. Tsuna’s eyes were dimmed, lacking the usual brightness; dull, his thoughts obviously far away.

It didn’t go unnoticed in the hitman’s eyes that Tsuna’s Guardian would unconsciously start scrambling to make the brunet happy again when it happen.

And finally inside their shared room, when Tsuna only had Reborn as his company. Tsuna tried to act the same but there was an awkward air around him. Palpable and thick as if he wanted to do and say something, debating with himself and yet ultimately holding back from voicing anything out. The brunet would just stare at him with flickering glowing eyes, emotions flitting on the beautiful orange orbs that Reborn knew were all for him.

What had happened during his week-long absence?

Was it the result of his disappearance?

Reborn prodded the Guardians for any indication but they remained oblivious to the reason their boss changed. It made him act harsh on them during training even more so towards the brunet.

Despite the new regiment, Tsuna took everything in stride, still giving him that mysterious emotion-filled eyes and smile when it was just the two of them.

In retaliation he increased Tsuna’s training. Not only was he giving his student a harder time, he also pointedly questions the brunet. Of course the answer he received was none.

Tsuna was still Dame-Tsuna, his Sky Flames still shine so bright with determination and infuriatingly with desperation too that he couldn’t brute force the answers.

What if–

If his guess was correct, it was connected with those seeking gaze Tsuna kept giving him every single night. It spoke of fear then it would morph into relief upon seeing him before the brunet sunk to sleep.

Reborn had decided to play a waiting game because he still knew Tsuna. Tsuna always wore his heart on his sleeves and it was only a matter of time before he fessed up.

He was going soft.

(This he acknowledged before he left and accepted before returning to Tsuna’s side.)

He had planned to wait for the confirmation from the brunet himself. However Tsuna derailed his decision again and now…—

With the rain falling and growing heavy, with the thunder and lightning rolling in Namimori, and with Leon draped around him as a raincoat amidst this dark weather. Reborn had to make his student answer.

...That utter rage and hatred reflected on orange eyes.

It played on Reborn’s head, those few short seconds of his speechless silence upon seeing his student in that darkened crime scene;

Of Tsuna with melted remains of gun, corpses pooling dark red before him, and the wafting and growing metallic coppery-smell in the already disgusting alley.

And lastly, Tsuna turned his orange eyes towards him as rage subsided and panic, pain, and fear showed itself in a flash before the brunet took off to the sky.

It flashed behind his minds’ eyes even as he scaled and nimbly jumped inside the resident.

Reborn moved stealthily and silently. Leon shifted to his original form before curling for warmth around his neck as the hitman made way towards his wayward student.

The hitman entered.

In the darkness of the room, there in the middle of the bed, his student was curled onto himself; hunched and drenched. He looked defeated and lost. And something inside him stirred at the sight that he chooses to not acknowledge yet.

“Tsuna.” Reborn called.

The brunet’s shoulder didn’t show an ounce of reaction but the hold on the blanket tightened. A raspy petulant voice spoke, “Not now...” then Tsuna hid himself inside the blanket, as if it was enough to hide from The World Greatest Hitman.

Reborn inaudibly sighed before he hopped on the bed. His form made a small dent on the bed sheet.

Small hand reached on Tsuna’s back near his nape then began petting it. Up and down, a soothing motion coming from him and a sign he meant no harm but of comfort.

He would demand an answer after Reborn calmed him down.

Tsuna’s head perked up at his action before he curled even more. And then the brunet started shaking with emotion.

This was also the reason.

His student was emotionally vulnerable and he hadn’t wanted to break the forced normalcy the brunet had unconsciously imposed around them all.

The hitman couldn’t afford to be harsh, not when his words, actions, even presence were powerful enough to cause Tsuna’s heart to make or break. Reminiscent of earlier.

What had happened to Tsuna?

.

.

.

When and how had Tsuna fallen in love with him?