C18. Betrothal Gift, Welcoming the Marriage.

Chapter 18

Emperor Yuan Qing took on the role of matchmaker for Cao Xun and Yunzhu, entrusting all of the specific wedding arrangements to the Ministry of Etiquette.

Typically, only the weddings of royals fall under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Etiquette. However, Cao Xun, an Imperial Uncle who has made considerable contributions to the nation, received an honor from Emperor Yuan Qing. In addition, the Dingguo Mansion should heed the fact that Emperor Yuan Qing also handled both the betrothal gifts and the wedding presents, and the arrangements were on par with those for a prince's betrothal.

The betrothal gift for a prince was astounding, comprising fifty taels of gold, twenty taels of pearls, four hundred taels of silver, a vast quantity of silk and satin, and more.

The great gift was a sight to behold, adorned with over 4,000 pearls, and accompanied by twenty chests of gold and silver jewelry. In comparison, four hundred taels of gold, one thousand six hundred taels of silver, and fifty taels of pearls were considered insignificant, not to mention over three hundred pieces of silk brocade.

Had Duke Dingguo prepared the betrothal gift himself, it would have taken quite some time. However, Emperor Yuan Qing intervened, so no time was wasted. The imperial edict of marriage was issued on April 12, and delivered in a grand manner to Duke Ningguo's mansion, accompanied by the groom-to-be.

The journey from Duke Dingguo's Mansion to Duke Ningguo's Mansion was lined with spectators, eager to witness the grandeur and opulence.

"Are those pearls? If I could just take one, it would sustain me for life."

"That Yanju crown must weigh a ton. Would it crush your neck if you put it on?"

"Hand it over. I can handle the weight."

"Did you see the red silk on the pigs and sheep? It's finer than the garments in Yihong Courtyard!"

"Is the Emperor biased towards Cao Xun?"

"Have you considered the significant contributions the Great Imperial Uncle has made? If it was someone talented from your establishment, wouldn't you reward them?"

"He's a great man. Why would he take advantage of Duke Ningguo's daughter?"

"If you're asking that, then you don't understand at all. It's the Ningguo Duke's Mansion, present since the founding of the country over two hundred years ago. I can't even imagine its accumulated wealth. Most of the male members of the Li family perished in battle. The current Duke Ningguo has only a daughter. Can he afford a lavish dowry? Considering these facts, Cao Xun marrying the daughter of the Ningguo Duke’s mansion is a significant advantage!"

The Cao family may be prominent now, but it is only a three-generation dynasty. How could it compare with the heritage of the Li family?

This person really got it right.

Indeed, with this wave of betrothal gifts, enviable to the common people, except for the Zhu Cui Yanju crown, which no ordinary noble could don, other gifts of gold, silver, jewelry, silk, and satin seemed unsurprising to Yunzhu, who hails from a wealthy family.

Yunzhu relishes the attention and interest of those who wish to mock her, as she is no longer subject to ridicule.

"See the Miss’s smile. Does she like this Yan Ju crown too much, or does she like her fiance too much?"

While observing their Miss holding her chin and gazing at Yan Juguan for an extended period, Shiliu couldn't resist making a playful comment.

Accompanying their Miss on a fishing trip to Wanhua Mountain, Shiliu and she were aware that there were some little-known secrets between her and Great Imperial Uncle.