C86. Forgiveness Offered, Healing Sought.

Chapter 86

On a scorching summer day, as Cao Xun returned home from his duties, the relentless sun continued to cast its sultry glow across the yard, discouraging any ventures outdoors.

Within the confines of the room, an ice basin provided some respite from the heat, and Yunzhu reclined luxuriously on the couch, engrossed in a storybook.

This intriguing tale, presented to her as a gift by Sun Yurong during her recent stay at the Xu residence, was captivating, if somewhat risqué. Despite its questionable content, Yunzhu had been absorbed in it for two consecutive days, and she anticipated concluding it the following day in just a matter of hours.

Her concentration was so intense that she remained unaware of Cao Xun's arrival. Only when he approached the couch did she startle, hastily closing the book and concealing it beneath a pillow.

Cao Xun grinned, "It seems you don't have three hundred taels of silver hidden here."

Yunzhu rebutted, "It's a gift from a young lady, so you menfolk are not allowed to lay eyes on it."

Accepting the young lady's wishes, Cao Xun refrained from snatching a book to peruse. Instead, he settled at the low table in the center of the couch, glancing at a plate of diced peaches and melon slices placed there.

Yunzhu remarked, "They've been sitting there for some time; I'll have someone cut them again for you."

"It seems alright to me," he replied.

Observing him pick up a bamboo stick and consume the remnants, Yunzhu noted that he did so without a hint of disdain. In this small act, many affluent men and women paled in comparison to him.

Cao Xun delicately picked up the last diced peach, its golden hue catching the warm light, and turned to Yunzhu. "Today's peaches are delightful, surpassing the local red peaches I savored in Xuanzhou," he remarked.

Intrigued, Yunzhu inquired, "What red peaches? The ones on this plate are Qingzhou peaches, this year's tribute from the Empress Dowager. How can they compare to the Xuanzhou native peaches you've mentioned?"

Cao Xun offered her a meaningful glance as he replied, "Sometimes, the finest fruit isn't the one presented as tribute."

Skeptical, Yunzhu stated, "Local officials strive to please palace nobles. If there truly are more exquisite varieties, they would undoubtedly present them."

"To do so, they must be exceptional," Cao Xun explained. "Take the Xuanzhou red peach, for instance. Its skin is thinner than paper and turns a vibrant red that's as fragile as it is sweet. However, if picked prematurely, its flavor will disappoint the nobility."

Yunzhu had never tasted a peach with such ethereal qualities, given her status and circumstances.

To further make his point, Cao Xun imparted another example. "You relish river-fresh fare, readily available in the capital, but seafood holds a delicate charm, much like Xuanzhou's red peaches. The seafood found here is hardier. Yet, I recall tasting a particular shrimp in Shanhaiguan, a delicacy so exquisite that it could not survive the journey to Beijing despite its allure. Do you think local officials would dare to risk offering such a marvel to the nobles?"

Yunzhu paused, contemplating this notion.

Having contemplated this, Yunzhu came to the realization that the title of "tribute" did not always equate to superlative quality.

Yunzhu had always been discerning about her lifestyle. From the finest fabrics to the most exceptional produce, her taste reflected the noblest standards of the capital. Instantly, she felt torn between longing for these unattainable culinary delights and wrestling with disappointment.