Darcy is still an asshole.

lady, runnin' down to the riptide

taken away to the dark side

"I wanna be your left-hand man"

Marcy tapped their steering wheel to the rhythm of the song as they drove back home, whistling along to the lyrics they didn't know. Darcy looked at them with an annoyed expression before rolling his eyes and sighing dramatically. To his surprise, Marcy didn't even notice his sigh, seeming to be focusing on the road and their song. A small surge of anger coursed through his veins, but before he could say anything stupid, he took a deep breath. Chapter 9, page 212, find someone's weakness and exploit it. In this case, use silence and affirmation. His frown turned into an unnerving smile as he looked at his happy sibling next to him.

The rest of the ride went by in a comfortable silence for Marcy as they recalled the day's events. To say Darcy was surprised was an understatement, they've never seen Marcy so happy. They were nodding their head along to their music, which wasn't depressing rock music for the first time in... basically ever. The smile they wore from the library still shined brightly on their face giving their eyes a beautiful glimmer. Darcy could literally see happiness and joy replace the emptiness in their soul. He felt his heart warm slightly, but quickly replaced it with a cold, hard truth:

His entire existence is due to Marcy's crippled mental state. He couldn't afford a mistake like the man at the library to screw this up.

"Aight, Darce, we're home!" Marcy sang loudly. They got out of the car and skipped to the entrance of their apartment. They were about to open the door before realizing Darcy wasn't even near them. Marcy looked around a bit before seeing Darcy sitting in the car, hands crossed, with a sour expression on his face.

Marcy's smile turned into a sudden frown. "Hey, Darce? You coming?" They asked, confused.

Darcy just scoffed loudly and slowly got out of the car, walking straight past Marcy and into the complex. Marcy's frown deepened, but they didn't say anything, knowing that their brother can sometimes be burnt out from social interactions. They guessed that's what happened and decided to put on their smile again once again, hoping it would silence the doubt and anxiety building up in their mind.

They opened the door to their dorm with a bow as they motioned for Darcy to go inside. They waited patiently for a snicker or at least any type of reaction from Darcy, but all they heard was the soft sound of footsteps indicating that Darcy went through. Marcy furrowed their eyebrows in a troubled expression and watched Darcy walk to their room, without a sound. To everyone else, the apartment was in utter silence, so silent you would think the world had disappeared, but everything was still there. But to Marcy, the silence was loud, unbearable even. Too unbearable that even the toughest soldiers would have their armor chipped away, slowly, revealing the insanity in the silence. But everyone had their own thoughts, loud enough to dull the growing threat of insanity, but the thoughts running through Marcy's head hurt. All they could hear was the repeating sound of Darcy's footsteps hitting the hardwood floor as they walked into the apartment, echoing through their mind, leaving no trace of tranquility. They put down the grocery bag, staring into its abyss and watched as those doubts from early started to plague their mind. Every movement, every sound, every breath Darcy had made since the ride back home meant something, meant everything, but... what? Panic filled Marcy's head as they tried analyzing what they could've done, or what might have happened to Darcy, but they were left with nothing. Their mind filled with thoughts, screaming that something was wrong, but too empty to know what.