Prologue

Camilla

Sirens... the blaring sound of ambulance sirens filled the area as an unconscious person was swiftly rushed into the hospital on a stretcher. I couldn't believe it was my sister; it just couldn't be her. She was perfectly fine and lively just hours ago; I can still vividly recall her beautiful, beaming smile lighting up the room. She assured me she'd be back soon, and I trusted her word because she never breaks her promises. So, I couldn't grasp why my parents were clutching onto the person so tightly, or why my mom was sobbing so loudly. I couldn't comprehend why we were all gathered at the hospital. 

I stood there, gazing at the stretcher as it rolled past me, holding on to the hope that it wasn't my sister, covered in blood and teetering on the brink of death. It couldn't be her; her face wasn't so badly bruised, her hair wasn't this disheveled - she always kept it tied up in a bun. She couldn't be my sister. Even though the lady shared her blonde hair and wore a similar dress, it just wasn't her. My parents were too petrified to realize it wasn't her.

But that bracelet on her wrist, that bracelet couldn't be found anywhere, it was specially made for the both of us, the only pair in the whole wide world. That's when it hit me like a meteor crashing down to earth. It was her; it was my sister, Carmen. No, it couldn't be her; I must have been hallucinating. If it was her, then I was the reason, the reason my sister lay in that state, it was all because of me. As I struggled to make sense of everything unfolding, a piercing cry snapped me out of my daze. My brothers deserted me, dashing towards the source of the sound. I  trailed behind, trembling in fear, praying so hard that it wasn't my mom, and unfortunately, I was right. I didn't want to be right, but I was. As I watched my family rushing into the ICU, I finally understood what was going on. I had killed my sister, I was the one who killed her. I couldn't breathe, couldn't move; I simply stared, feeling utterly numb... that was all I felt, numb.