First

The conference room was full with many kind of super annoying people. My nerves were thin as ice.

All was curious of the newbies, of course. The three poor devils, sitting in the first desk, trying not to get a heart attack from the other, more experienced policemen and women around us.

I was sitting in the middle, between John and Jackson, my arms crossed tightly in front of my bust. The two men were turned toward me, creating a little group. You know, us three against the word kinda thing.

"I feel like an animal tucked into a cage" I growled, my Russian accent playing hide and seek in my speech.

"We have to go through this" sighed Nolan on my left. He took the courage to look around, yet quickly returned. "Even if I could scream at everyone of why staring like this"

I chuckled. "Don't make an eye contact with them, unless you have to. Also, keep an emotionless expression and they won't want to make fun of you"

"Easy for you to say" lifted the younger manon my right his eyebrows higher. "You already seem frightening with your strict look"

I didn't comfort them by saying it's not true. I knew I looked like a grumpy dwarf with creepy, lightblue eyes. Some say my eyes could reach one's soul, which is a good thing in this job, I guess.

Soon after, Mr. Grey came in, turning around in front of an enormous white board. Wetting his throat, he spoke up, making everyone settle down. "Good morning, everyone. Let me introduce the newest bunch of hapless newbies. John Nolan, your tutor will be Talia Bishop"

The older man looked back where Mr. Grey pointed with his finger. Me and Jackson turned in sync with the third member of our little group, taking a look at the three people who were rumoured to be our tutors. There was another woman beside Ms. Bishop and a man, approximately in his middle 30s. If my calculations were right and there will be man-woman pairs, my tutor will be him.

We all turned back, waiting for the next announcement. "Jackson West will be beside Angela Lopez. Darya Lyubov Sokolov's tutor will be Tim Bradford."

I didn't have to peek back to know how derogatory his look could have been. I felt it burning a hole in my back.

"Please, Rookies, pay attention to every little movements, every smallest advices of your tutors" the man's voice became even stricter, than before. His gaze was wandering among our three pairs of eyes. "It's not a safe job. You can get hurt. What's worse, you can even get killed."

West gulped beside me, trying his best to hide how scared he really was. Nolan didn't look at anyone, only stared in front of himself, determination playing on his cheek. He had a calling for this job. It was his dream, his own getaway from his past life.

Why did I apply for this job with my 155 cm and 21 years? I had same intentions like John. A bit different, but it doesn't matter at the moment. What everyone believes that I immigrated from The Motherland to my father to have a better life here and that's it.

No one has to know the real reason yet.

As Mr. Grey had finished, the three of us stood up, dusting off our uniforms. We made our way to the back of the conference room, stopping at the desk of our tutors, standing with all the honor we had.

Everyone was joined by their own tutors. Mine bypassed the desk, approaching with uncertain steps. As if he was unsure whether I was a lost university student, he wrapped his muscular arms in front of his chest, veins pulsating on his lower arm. His gaze was a mixture of emotions, not a single one I could detect as my crutch. I hid my insecurity behind a mask of no emotions.