best(est) friend

It was one of those rare days when Rohit woke up excitedly.

'Finally, 23rd February!' he sighed in delight and removed the calendar from the wall.

There was no way he'd be okay with his roommate, his 'new friend ' to see how all the days he was away were cross marked and how his date of arrival was rounded up.

Until he had to spend a few days away from his roommate, he hasn't realised how much he mattered.

He missed Virat's desperate attempts to wake him up in the morning, his cribbing about the bland taste of breakfast being served, the way he'd cheer for every good shot Rohit played, as if he had hit a century, the way he'd tease Rohit each time Ritika, his friend called him, saying he could really see the sparks between them.

Until he had to do it all alone, Rohit didn't realise how Virat made his life with the ICT easier and joyful.

He realised that Virat wasn't just his roommate but his best friend and that he loves him but how would he say that to him?

How would he be able to tell a guy that he loves him and misses him without making it awkward? Was that even normal? Do people thank their bestfriends for their support and tell them how much they are loved and valued?

Virat told him that he'll be back on 23rd and it was already 9:00 am, and Rohit started growing restless.

He hesitantly called Virat who answered immediately.

'HE-y' he noticed how Virat's tone which was filled with excitement turned to neutral.

'Were you expecting someone else's call? There was a change in your
tone.'

Was he overthinking and over analysing the minute details?

'No- No, I wasn't. I-I was talking normal -ly.' the way Virat stammered conveyed that he was lying and that only frustrated Rohit more. He was being able to read Virat as if he was an open book.

'You were supposed to return today right?'

'You remember? Yes!'

'Yeah, actually I called to ask if I should leave the room door open while going to practice. Do you have your key?' Rohit just hoped that it wasn't too lame.

'Yes, I do have my keys with me, I'm not Rohit afterall.' the sound of Virat's chuckle reminded Rohit of his home.

'Okay, bye.' Rohit ended the call and shoved his phone in frustration onto the bed.

He quickly got ready and joined the training session, really hoping that Virat would be back in the room by the time his training ends.

He had friends, close friends too but nobody could match Virat, not even the ones he knew for at least ten years before Virat.

'Where are you lost Ro?' Mahi Bhai asked as he draped his arm around Rohit's shoulder during the break.

'Um, nowhere bhai.' Rohit replied with a smile in an attempt to fool him.

'Do you really think I'll buy that?' Mahi Bhai asked and before Rohit could come up with an lame excuse, yuvi pa turned up to be his saviour.

'Mahi, I missed you.' he engulfed Mahi in a bear hug.

'Weren't we practicing together?' Mahi tried to speak.

'Yeah but that's professional. I missed my bestfriend Mahi.' yuvi replied.

If the seniors could openly express their love for each other, maybe he and Virat could do it as well.

Ritika even kisses her best friend on her cheeks and uploads their pictures with multiple hearts in her stories all the time.

'But what if Virat doesn't consider me his bestfriend?' Rohit wondered.

By the time Rohit exhaustedly reached his room post training he saw Virat lazily lying on his bed and was instantly energized.

'Hey Virat' he tried his best to mask his excitement.

'Hello.' Virat replied with his eyes glued to his phone. Rohit frowned at that.

His phone buzzed with notifications from Gmail and he saw that he had 6 mails from Virat. He immediately opened them.

1- Hey Ro, how was your day? Hope you didn't have too much fun without me. My mother asked about you and told me to never annoy you as she thinks you are a nice person.

2- I went on a walk today and the vada pav stall reminded me of you.

I ate eight vada pavs.

3- I met my closest friend today and my god, I had to spend so much energy and time to explain everything I have spoken about.

And that made me realise that it doesn't take any effort to make you understand what's in my heart and I really appreciate that.

4- I think I miss you. And I think I love you.

No, don't misunderstand me. It's called

PLATONIC LOVE.

Google it for the exact definition.

You are my best (est) friend Ro.

5- Do you miss me?
Am I your best (est) friend too?

6- I'll be returning back tomorrow which means I'll be away from my mother.

I usually cry myself to sleep every night before I leave home. But I know I won't cry tonight, because I'm extremely excited to be back with you.

Rohit's joy had no bounds reading those emails.

'Virat, I read your emails. I-'

'YOU READ WHAT?' Virat panicked and jumped out of the bed.

'The emails that you've sent to me. But why didn't you send them on the actual days?'

'Rohit, I'm so sorry. I-I didn't mean that stupid shit. Those were in my drafts and I was actually clearing them. I don't know how you received them. I'm so so-sorry.' Virat's face turned red with embarassment.

Rohit smiled and handed him the calendar from the cupboard.

'Were you counting down days for my arrival?' Virat asked, his eyes glistening with hope.

'Yes, because I missed you terribly.' Rohit confessed.

'I missed you too. And I meant everything I've written in the mails.' Virat stated as he hugged Rohit.

' I consider you my best(est) friend too, Virat. '

'I can't tell you how relieved I am.'

'Me too.'

.
.
.
.

I'm sorry if you feel it has ended abruptly. But this took me four days to write. So you must be able to imagine my state. 🥲

Have you ever considered someone your best friend and spent days wondering if it's reciprocated?