Aforementioned Apples

The two prefects lead the small group of first year Hufflepuffs to their common room

The two prefects lead the small group of first year Hufflepuffs to their common room. There were not many of them now that she realised, approximately 15 girls and about 10 boys. A lot of people were sorted into the other houses she assumed, Camila's brother Hugo was sorted into Ravenclaw and Haley was in Gryffindor. The journey to the common room was very long and confusing, she was bound to get lost the next day. It was very far from the Great Hall but right next to the kitchen, which was a little perk the prefects told them about as well as how to enter the kitchens. By tickling a pear, a perfectly normal daily activity. Melody turned to Camila "see me personally, I find apples a bit more ticklish but pears work too."  this made Camila snort in laughter and turn as red as the aforementioned ticklish apples out of embarrassment as the surrounding students turned to look at her. 

They took several left and right turns, went up and down a few staircases before finally arriving in front of a large, round door with a few barrels each side of it "Alright I need you guys to pay very close attention to what I'm about to do. To enter the common room you need to tap out a rhythm on these barrels." the prefect tapped out a short sequence on the barrels. It was fairly easy to remember, much easier than the actual journey here anyways.   

The prefect pushed through the wooden door to reveal a warm, and cosy room adorned with plush furniture and earthy tones. It was homely and inviting, the scent of freshly baked croissants filled her nose as she followed the students through the door. Different kinds of plants hung from the ceilings and sat on window sills. The room was lit by the moonlight streaming in through small circular windows as well as lanterns dotted around the room and a large fireplace on one side of the wall. The prefect, Sophie, led the girls up some wooden stairs to three doors each labelled First year. "There are three girls to a dorm, you'll find your names on whichever room is yours."

 "Hey Melody you're with me" Camila called out to her from the room at the far end. Another girl walked in shortly after, she had black curly hair, deep ebony skin and the cutest button nose "Hello, I'm Isabelle" she waved at the other two girls, she had a very soft voice and was quite meek. "Hey, I'm Camilla",

  "Melody nice to meet you" they both replied back. They took their respective beds and began unpacking. Each of them had a chest of drawers for clothes and other belongings and a small study desk. There was also a thin wardrobe (to share) to hang their robes or anything else that couldn't be folded. Luckily for them, there was a connecting bathroom containing a shower, toilet and sink so that they didn't have to walk to the girl's bathroom, which was very conveniently on the other side of the building. "So is there like a laundry room around here or something?" Melody asked the other two girls. Isabelle looked up from her suitcases "No, I think house elves come and clean whilst we're in lessons or something".  

"Right... house elves" Isabelle chuckled at her confused expression "you're a muggleborn I'm guessing. House elves are just creatures, elves, that help out around the castle. Some families have them too". Melody nodded at her response, still slightly confused as to why people had servants when they literally could use magic to do everything. 

After unpacking everything, the three of them talked until early hours of the morning, Melody questioned them a lot about the wizarding world and they asked her about the muggle world. They sat together on the floor talking and laughing about everything, Melody was sure that they would become fast friends.