Chapter 2 - Rotten Isles

Last time on The Walking Dead; Tom awoke in a deserted hospital room, unknowing of any events that occurred behind closed doors—heading off on the road to find his way home, in hopes of understanding what happened to everyone. Only seeing death everywhere he seemed to turn.

-Edd- 

We sat in the car, driving god knows where. Matt looked out the window the whole ride, neither of us speaking. We had no choice but to run, but it still hurt. “Matt…” I spoke softly, eager to get some form of sound. “Hm?” He hummed, not even turning his head from the window. “….. How long are you going to sit in silence?” I asked. “…. I don’t know.” He muttered in return, leaning more on the car door. “Alright…” 

I kept on the road, my eyes scanning for a place to get some gas. It wasn’t going to last forever, that was for sure. A sign came into view, and relief came over me. “Matt…. I need you to stay in the car, okay? Don’t unlock it unless it’s me…. Do you understand?” I spoke sternly, turning the car into the lot of the station. “Yeah.” He mumbled, leaning back in his seat. I reached behind my seat, grabbing my shotgun and a few buildings as I loaded a few into it. I swung it over my shoulder with the strap, grabbing a gas canister along with a bag to get anything else we may need. Likewise, I stepped out of the car, locking it behind me after handing the keys over to Matt. Furthermore, I stepped into the store, sneaking behind the register to figure out a way to get the pumps working. It took a moment, but I figured something out, rushing out to get the job done before my little idea stopped working. I filled multiple, shoving them into the boot to be kept safe for the time being. 

I headed back inside, trying to ignore the smell of rotten flesh as I scanned the isles. Likewise, I shoved canned foods and water into the bag, trying to find stuff that would last. Not only that, but I came across the candy section, looking over at the treats before me. Likewise, I grabbed a few, sticking them into a small pocket of the bag. “Maybe that’ll help Matt relax…. Get him in good spirits.” I whispered to myself, slowly rising as I scanned the aisle some more. I froze, hearing a clunk of a handle, quickly dropping into a crouch as I looked around its wall for the source. A boarded door was trying to open, an undead hand reaching through, eager as its lifeless eye peeked out. I pulled my gun off my shoulder, holding it tight in my arms as I crept along the floor. If he was there, surely there were more. 

I stopped in my tracks, hearing the shuffle of feet, holding the gun close to my body as I tried to silence my breath. I looked over the edge, watching a walker limp out of a doorway into my area. Likewise, I watched him closely, keeping my finger by the trigger, just in case. Furthermore, I occasionally looked in the other direction but kept a heavy focus on him. Groaned escaped his broken jaw, clicking his teeth as his rotten hand grabbed at the shelves. I looked towards the front doors to the car, debating my next move. 

I took a deep breath, slowly creeping behind the walker as I reached for the doors. Likewise, I stopped before pressing into the handle, looking up at the bell. Shit. That’s right. I crept over to its string, looking back at the distracted walker as I placed a hand on it. I pulled a knife from my pocket, cutting the part under my hand until it snapped off. Furthermore, I slowly lifted my hand upwards to let the bell go down until it rested in my hand. Likewise, I checked one last time before quietly setting it on the floor. Likewise, I pressed the door open, slowly walking through when a bell rang in my ears. Furthermore, I looked behind me, seeing another walker dead behind me. Her foot had kicked the bell, alerting the other one instantly. I quickly ran for it, signalling to Matt frantically as he reached over the armrest. They followed closely, extending their hands with loud gurgles of hunger. I swung myself inside the car, slamming the door and locking it behind me as they slammed into the window. 

“Are you okay?!” Matt exclaimed, practically hyperventilating as he grabbed hold of my arm. “Yeah, don’t worry, I’m okay. They didn’t touch me.” I reassured him, placing a hand on his as I rubbed my thumb against his knuckles. He slowly calmed down as I started the car up once more, letting the walkers drag off the edge of the car as we began to move. “What happened?” He finally asked, his blue eyes still shaking in panic. “Well I nearly sneaked by them, I even took off the stupid bell, I hadn’t noticed when I came in…. Guess nobody heard it…. Or I opened the door just small enough not to activate it…. But when I set it down I heard it ring only to see that lady walker right behind me…. Guess I got too distracted.” I chuckled, trying to laugh off the adrenaline running through my body. 

“Edd you have got to be careful.” Matt whined, taking the back from me, so I could rest back on the seat. He took my gun as well, setting it back in the back seat. “Don’t worry, I won’t let that happen again…. But… check the side pocket.” I gestured to the bag, watching him raise a brow. He dug his hand in, pulling out one of the many candies I stuffed into it. “Can I… have these?” He asked, his eyes lighting up partly at the sight. “I got them for you, so knock yourself out.” I couldn’t help but smile seeing his eyes shine like stars, he wasted no time undoing one of the wrappers and popping it into his mouth. He made a pleased hum, a smile across his face as he enjoyed the sweet flavor. I laughed a bit at his reaction, enjoying his no longer depressed episode. 

“Edd…. When are we circling back to the city?” He asked once he finished, saving the rest for later. “Once I get to a road that I can…. Let’s just hope Tom is still in the hospital… Alive.” I sighed, not wanting to be so dark, but there was no point sugar-coating anything. “What if he isn’t in there?” He asked, staring at me eagerly. “Then we’ll hunt for him…. He isn’t the hardest guy to find after all.” 

I just hope we can.