XVII. You Again?

The Old Mining Village, 3PM

"What do you think, what will we face down there?" Three asked as she sat on a snowmobile next to Leon while they stopped far enough to not be spotted, from an old mining village that sits just below the mountain ridge. The DSO got another report of BOWs attacks overtaking the small village, where only a handful of people were still living, despite the mine closing back in the late 90s due to the structural instability and danger of collapse.

Leon fixed his gloves. "Not people."

He said it in such a nonchalant way, Three had to look at him more clearly to see what was going on by removing her safety goggles since most of the area was already covered in snow. 

It was so cold even the smoke coming from their mouths froze in place.

"Okay, how's the weather? Cold as fuck, right?" she continued with the small-talk, using a voice that didn't sound exactly kind. 

He's been awfully uncooperative for the last day or two and it has passed a good week and a half since their little night adventure.

They didn't exactly decide they'll be in a relationship or anything, but they felt closer than ever – cuddling in bed if necessary, working together – if possible to watch each others back and most importantly do the bedroom ''deed''.

But nothing was – serious at that point.

Three asked him to give her a little more time, since she never really – dated anyone, while Leon agreed since it was understandable for her to ask him for that. Also, they literally met less than two weeks ago. But despite all, they both felt happy in each-other's presence, safe even if not completely relaxed for the first time in a while in their lives. Despite the horror that Three believes still awaits her in the near future.

But the last two days were a little different. Leon disappeared for full 24hours, saying he was on a single mission. But Three knew he wasn't, since she has been fully in charge (at least in secret) behind the DSO operations. 

She needed to intercept any kind of information revealing the possible location of the person hunting her – in return for the lives of everyone she cared about. Ashley's father – helps, since as a loving father he couldn't fathom losing his daughter. But it is also his ''duty'' to protect the country as well. 

Of course, DSO wasn't the only one looking for the mysterious owner of the giant laboratories in Alaska, and Three knew she had to do something about it, sooner or later.

Noticing his absence, made her suspect something is going on. 

By knowing how Leon often does things on his own – she was scared he was trying to find clues by himself, without letting her know - which meant running into danger he wasn't supposed to run n. 

The first clue? He lied.

The second? He suddenly wasn't the ''happy golden retriever'' around her anymore.

Her existence changed him for the better. The few years of therapy already made him a better man, but once she smiled at him and gave him a chance, he looked like he was a carefree citizen who likes to make his signature lasagna. Even the rest were able to notice his smile. The smile they almost never seen before – started to take presence more often.

But the past two days? He seemed tense.

Leon didn't respond to the weather question, making Three sigh through her mask. "I know something is going on. You don't have to tell me, but – just try and cooperate a little now that we're about to fight some blood-thirsty monsters. Just head... down. I'll be watching you," she said, a strain of worry hidden inside her voice.