Chapter One

Never did I think I would be holding this sheet of paper in my hands. No one ever really did. So, when I pulled it out of the mail box this afternoon, I was clearly shocked. Upon seeing the royal seal on the envelope, I figured the royal family would be trying to get in contact with one of my brothers. They both have been studying to get some sort of government position.

I was wrong, though. The name next to the royal seal was mine. I had taken it up to my room to learn what the royal family could possibly want with me. And that basically adds up to where I am now, staring at a form for the selection.

It was very unlikely that Prince Charles would have his own selection. He is not the heir to the Illean throne. His older sister, Queen Celia, is—or at least was before she took the throne and now her daughter is. So why he would be hosting the selection at the palace is a mystery to me.

According to one of the sheets of paper inside the envelope stated that it was because of the lack of possible brides for Prince Charles to meet. Apparently very few important people have daughters between the ages of 16 and 19. Instead of making Charles go through the struggle of going out and meeting people—the paper also said something about making sure his security isn't risked, which I believe is bull—they decided to bring the people to him.

Basically it boils down to one of two things: Princes Charles is too lazy to go out and meet a decent woman or he is incapable of convincing one to marry him. Those are the only two reasons I could think of for as to why another selection—dare I say a pointless one—would be held.

I don't even look at the form. I roll my eyes and place the envelope and its contents on my desk with a few of my school papers where it hopefully will be ignored until it is too late for me to submit it.

§§§

"My professor informed me that it is very likely that I could be getting an internship at the mayor's office," my eldest brother, Anson, says. I roll my eyes. Anson has been told that a thousand times by a thousand professors. Part of me believes it is all made up to discourage my other brother, Kingsley. It's what happens when two twin brothers are the best in the same field of study at the same school.

"Well, maybe, you could talk the mayor into getting some of the homeless people off the street. It looks bad to visitors," my father comments. I cut off a small piece of the steak on my plate and place it in my mouth. My father always insists that the mayor should do something with those in poverty simply because it looks bad. He always is in it for the simple penny.

"I must agree. If Baffin wants to move on and get ahead in this society, we must take care of them," Anson replies. My father and Kingsley both nod.

"It would help if our current King weren't one of them," Kingsley states. My father shakes his head. I know the lecture about to come. It follows anything ever mentioned about the royal family.

"It is simply what happens when you allow poor people to come into the palace. It all went down hill when King Clarkson married that Amberly. A four, then a five, and now a farmer. The royal family needs to be marrying someone of their own rank," my father comments. My mother takes a sip from her wine glass. I try to tune out any talk of the royal family and place another piece of steak in my mouth.

"Speaking of the royal family, Melanie Dean told me some very interesting news," my mother says as soon as she swallows the crimson liquid. My father arches his eyebrows and lays down the fork that was in his hand.

"And what is that, darling?" he asks. My mother looks directly at me.

"She said that Stacy and Samantha got forms to sign up for a selection... one for Prince Charles," she says. All of the faces surrounding the dinner table turn to look at me. If it weren't for the firm scolding I would get from my mother, I would slouch down but that would practically be suicide in her presence.

"Well, that is interesting. I wonder why we haven't heard much more about it," my father says. My mother nods and takes another sip of her wine.

"So, where is your form for the selection?" my mother asks. My stomach does a twist and I quickly shake my head.

"I didn't get one. Or at least Karigan didn't give it to me if I did get one," I say before taking a sip of my water. My mother raises her eyebrows.

"Oh, so either the maid is hiding your chance at becoming royalty or you are ineligible to enter?" my mother asks. Of course she would never use Karigan's name. It is too kind to do to someone "below us." I open my mouth to respond but Kingsley stops me.

"Ember, who would your lucky husband be?" he asks. I roll my eyes and attempt at responding but my other brother stops me.

"Yes, please do share with us. Could it be that guy from her school? What was his name, Kingsley? The one we found in her diary?" Anson asks. I gasp. My brothers laugh.

"I don't know. Maybe I should go check. I believe I saw it earlier underneath that paper we used to make a paper airplane," Kingsley responds. I cross my arms and stare at the ceiling above. The only thing my brothers enjoy more than competing with one another is making me miserable.

"Oh, wait. I think I still have that air plane. Mother and father would be quite interested in seeing it," Anson says before pulling out several crumpled up pieced of paper. He smooths them out and passes it down to the end of the table for my father.

"Look at this honey, Ember did get invited to join the selection," my father says. I roll my eyes and cross my arms.

"It's just a stupid form. It's not like it's Willy Wonka's golden ticket,"I say. My father passes it down to my mother who gasps.

"Well, look at that. I guess I know what we'll be doing first thing tomorrow morning," my mother says. I roll my eyes.

"Seriously? You want me to fill out this form? It's for a competition for some rich spoiled boy. I'm not doing it," I tell her. She rolls her eyes.

"You are doing it young lady if you want the rest of your courses paid for," she says. I roll my eyes and stand up.

"I'm going to my room," I announce. I walk away from the large dining room table and into the hallway. If they seriously think the selection is a good idea they're all idiots.

I hope you all enjoyed this first chapter. No Celia or Flynn yet, but they'll be in here, trust me. I'm not sure what to say now because I am socially awkward so yeah, but the next chapter will be posted tomorrow because I have enough chapters wrote already to post everyday this week. :) 

Thank you to -NiNi- for the amazing cover! I LOVE IT! It's a lot better than the ones I make.

The photo that should be attached but I would not be surpised if you can't see it because there is something wrong with my computer and it doesn't like adding pictures is of Phoebe Tonkin who is our Ember. You'll find out who the others who are casted as we meet them.

Disclaimer: Since you all seem to like creative disclaimers I will be thinking of a bunch more to tell you all that Kiera Cass owns the Selection and not me.

^^^That sounded really cheesy...