Chapter Five

"What am I supposed to do, Lily? I can't go and raise hell!" I whisper yell. I look over at my door, hoping none of their minions have decided to follow us. Ever since 'From Baffin we have Ember Shields' was mumbled on the Report our house has not been empty. Today they have been here trying to get measurements.

"I don't know. Be yourself. You can do as we planned. You can be a bi-" she says. When I raise my eyebrows she stops herself. "Sorry," she mumbles. I nod and fall back on my bed.

"But you're right. I do act like that at times but I can't go to the palace and and act like that," I tell her. She nods and paces back and forth.

"Let me go instead," she says. I sit up and look at her.

"As much as I would love to do that, I can think of several reasons why that is a terrible idea,"I tell her. She twists her head and looks at me.

"List them," she says. I sigh and cross my legs.

"First of all, that would be lying and when you lie you go to hell," I tell her. She shrugs and sits down on the chair at my desk.

"I'm probably already on my way there. Give me another one," she says. I laugh.

"Well, it would be treason against the royal family and we would both be killed," I tell her.She pretends to think about it for a minute then nods.

"Yeah, um, you're going unless we find someone else who wants to go," she says. I shake my head.

"I'm going no matter what," I tell her. She nods and opens her mouth to say something. A knock on the door stops her. I flop back on the bed and release an aggravated, "Who is it?"

"It's just me," Karigan's voice says. I give a sigh of relief.

"Come in," I say in a bit more cheerful voice. She walks in and smiles at me.

"They're here to do some kind of initial interview. They want to question you about the stuff on your form for some kind of television special where the country gets to learn more about you," she explains. I shake my head.

"Karigan, tell them that on my form I did add that I am excellent at hunting and hardly miss my target. Also tell them that if they don't leave they can be my next target," I say. She laughs and walks over to the bed.

"Miss Lily, can you please help get Ember out of her room?" she asks. Lily nods and stands up.She walks over to the door.

"I am gonna get them to come up here so they can see her in her prime habitat and then they'll never leave because who wouldn't want to see inside her room," she says before opening the door and walking out. I sit straight up and get off my bed.

"Lily! You better not or else I'll kill you!" I yell as she walks out. Karigan chuckles.

"That's one way to get out of the selection," she says. I laugh as I walk out the door.

"I might try it," I tell Karigan before I begin running down the hall. I reach up to her at the steps.

"I knew I would get you out,"she says with a smirk on her face. I roll my eyes and walk down the steps in silence. When I get down there a lady with an unnecessary microphone is talking to my parents.

"Do you think Ember being selected will help with your campaign?" she asks. My father pretends to think by turning his head sideways, a trick he always uses during interviews.

"Her being part of the selection is for her, not for me. Although, I certainly hope that she being part of such a legendary process will bring me up in the polls," he answers. She nods.

"What do you look forward to seeing happen while she is at the palace?" she asks both of them. My mom puts on a large smile.

"Like most of the other parents probably do, we obviously want her to win. Who wouldn't want to see their little girl be an actual princess in addition to their own princess? We also hope she enjoys spending time with the royal family and that she becomes friends with many of her fellow selected," my mom answers. I roll my eyes and hope that the camera crew doesn't see.

"That it so bull," Lily whispers. I nod.

"Half the stuff that comes out of their mouths is," I whisper back. She giggles and nods. Her giggles pulls the attentions of the interviewer over to us.

"Well there she is, Baffin's own Ember Shields," she says. She walks over and holds out a hand.I shake it and then Lily shakes it. "Are you a secret sister of Ember?" she asks.

"I'm her best friend but I might as well be her sister," Lily says. The interviewer nods then looks over at me.

"That's sweet. So, Ember. . .How has your life been since your name was called?" she asks. I give her a sweet smile that anyone who knows me would know is fake.

"It has been crazy. We have had a ton of visitors coming through but if that is what it takes to get a chance to marry Prince Charles I am willing to do it," I say, almost choking on the second part of the sentence. She gives me a warm smile telling me that she fell for it.

"So I take it that you are looking forward to meeting the prince?" she asks. I nod and give her another smile.

"Of course! What girl wouldn't want to be in my position? I can only imagine how nice he is. I look forward to seeing that kindness in person," I say. She smiles and nods.

"I understand what you mean.We have gotten hold of some of the forms so I want to ask you about that," she says. I nod. Someone on the camera crew hands her a paper she scans over it and then looks back at me. "So, you can speak French and Spanish?" she asks. I nod.

"Yes. My family has given me many opportunities to further my education. Among these opportunities was the chance to learn a new language. I jumped at the chance to learn something that will help me in life," she says. I glance back at my mom. She has a very satisfied look on her face.

"That's lovely. How about horseback riding?" she asks referencing the paper. I smile at her again.

"It is one of my favorite hobbies. When I was five my parents bought horses for my brothers.They also got a personal trainer and I talked the trainer into teaching me as well. The first time I got on the horses I loved it. It's been one of my favorite hobbies ever since," I answer truthfully.

"That is a wonderful story.Your form said that you also enjoy dancing," she states in a way that asks a question. I nod.

"I do. For as long as I can remember I have taken ballet lessons. As I got older I also began taking other lessons so now I am in ballet, hip hop, jazz, and Irish dance classes," I tell her. She nods and takes another look at her paper.

"And finally, you had hunting," she says. Behind her my mother's eyebrows raise. She was not aware of what I put on my form. She has never liked me going outwith my father and brothers so she obviously won't like the prince knowing.

"Yeah. My father and brothers will often go out to hunt birds and they will allow me to come with them. More often than not, I shoot the most because my brothers have terrible aim and my father is constantly trying to help them," I joke. She laughs.

"That sounds very entertain, Lady Ember. We look forward to seeing more of you soon," she says with a smile. A light on the cameras go off and her smile goes away.

"Thank you, Ember. We'll see you when you get to the palace. Your interview will air tomorrow night," she tells me before walking over to the camera crew. I look over at Lily and sigh.

"I believe there was more bull in that interview than in the one with my parents," I tell her. She laughs and nods.

"But you definitely have social skills. Even if the prince and his family hates you, the country should still like you," she says. I nod.

"I've learned playing them from the best," I say as I look over at my parents who are talking to the interviewer again.

"You got that right," she says.

I have nothing to say so... Comment and vote?

Disclaimer: Since I am not Kiera Cass I am required to write this in order to inform you that she owns The Selection not me.