chapter one

Climbing the window, trying my hardest not to make any noise, I jump from the sill on tiptoes.

I motion to Kendrick, who struggles to understand what I'm explaining, to jump just like I did in order to get the hard part of the 'mission' done.

The sun has just left behind the houses, and the moon seems to be getting the courage to come out into the world's view.

Kendrick's whole family is at home. Surprising, right?  To try sneaking out while the whole family is still awake and moving around the house. We tried to avoid any kind of meeting that we considered an obstacle. That's why we had to wait until now for Kendrick's father to come home from work.

Kendrick goes down, too, slowly closing the window. We pull our hoods over our heads and sneak past the house, stopping right at the edge of it.

His mother is right in the kitchen and seems to be talking to Carter, Kendrick's brother.  We don't guess our luck by trying to run away because the window is positioned towards the yard. If you sit and think, you would never be able to sneak out in these conditions.

Me and Kendrick share a look exactly when his phone lights up, and it reads:

Coast clear.

We both mentally thank Carter and start running where the gate is. In front of the gate, there is a huge box, which I assume is for storage.

I carefully get on it, pushing hard in my arms to get up. I put one leg on the gate and throw the other one over, causing me to reflexively jump and fall on the gravel.

I hear Carter's footsteps rapidly coming and Kendrick helping him to get him over the gate, which made him fall right on me.

"Ouch, you fucker." I whisper-shout.

"He threw me!" He defends himself, getting up and shaking his pants.

"Both of you shut up or we are going to get caught." Says Kendrick and jumps next to us.

We all take off our black hoodies and shove them under their dad's car. We took these hoodies as a kind of disguise until we securely left the yard, so we threw them under the car because for sure no one will see them or even take them.

And so we go down towards Finn's house.

Finn's house is similar to all the others on the street, only they have a really living decoration, full of flowers and plants of all kinds.

Finn makes his appearance, already dressed without any stress, and comes out the main gate.

"Wait, did you not sneak out?" I stop him.

"No," He shrugs. "I mean, my parents are asleep, and my doors are not loud."

"Wow," I say in defeat. "How easy."

And just like that, the four of us are heading with quick steps on this road where the houses don't change, and undoubtedly everyone, by that I mean all the teenagers are also heading towards the party.

Now that I think about it, I can't even fathom why everyone is so fired up about this party, which is noticeably notorious.