chapter two

Arrived at the party everything is buzzing, the atmosphere is electric, with even the ground vibrating from the booming music.

Everyone here is dressed in any shade. Some embrace the vibrancy of neon clothing, while others stick to their everyday attire. As for me, I've chosen a simple black skirt and a maroon off-shoulder t-shirt and, of course, my beloved Converses. While I don't particularly focus on the guys' outfits, I did happen to notice Kendrick sporting a flannel shirt.

Upon entering the house, the guys disperse while Carter remains by my side as we search around the table, through the variety of drinks. Non-alcoholic and alcoholic and probably toxic.

I pick up an unopened bottle of liquor and looking at Carter, suggesting it with my eyes.

He is two years younger than me which that makes him fifteen and I know I shouldn't influence him but I do it anyway. The impulse is strong and I give in.

"Well if you say it like that." Carter chuckles and I do too.

I shrug my shoulders, "I mean if you don't want to then you don't need to." I say, deep down knowing I want him to still agree. Typically, I enjoy having a drink with someone as drinking by myself seems too gloomy.

"Of course I do." He snatches the bottle away from me and fills up a red plastic cup.

We both take a sip simultaneously, the warm liquid gliding down our throats, a sudden sharp sensation jolts through my nose, catching me off guard. It's a distinct aroma, one that I recognize all too well — marijuana. The pungent scent lingers in the air, teasing my senses and awakening a curiosity within me.

I go upstairs and find a group of seven people smoking like their lives depend on it. How can I get along with them so that they give me at least a smoke? Soon I realize I don't have to because it is actually put on the table as an appetizer, so I take one.

I am looking for a spot to smoke it, since I don't want to be anywhere close to those people, and suddenly an idea strikes me. I decide to bring Carter up to the rooftop with me, where we can enjoy this joint in peace. As I make my way towards the house's roof, I can't help but feel a sense of excitement and anticipation. The rooftop has always been a hidden gem, a sanctuary away from the chaos of the party below.

"Come on, Carter." I whine taking him by the hand and pulling him onto the rooftop.

I perch on the roof's edge, steadying myself as I take the drink from his hand, feeling the cool glass against my fingertips. I light the joint and I take a sip of the strong liquor, feeling the pungent taste going down my throat mixing with the rough smoke in my lungs.

The smoke swirls around us and I turn to face him, his silhouette outlined against the backdrop of the party lights. I offer him a drag from the pot too, but he refuses and somehow I understand. Getting drunk is one thing, being high is another.

There is an unspoken understanding between us, a connection that transcends words. It's as if we are both standing on the precipice of something extraordinary, ready to dive headfirst into the unknown. We exchange a knowing smile, our eyes locked in a silent conversation. In that moment, time seems to stand still, the world around us fading into insignificance.

"It's beautiful." He whispers as we are sitting on the rooftop, and I feel it. The summer air filling my lungs, it's clean and fresh and it makes me finally joyful. Like a hint of anticipation, as if it knows that something significant is about to unfold.

The sun is setting, casting a warm glow over the neighborhood, the buildings and streets bathed in the golden light of dusk and the stars that have just started to align beautifully on the sky.

"It's amazing." I whisper back being completely absorbed by the sight in front of me.

"You know," I start. "Isn't it crazy we've been friends for so long?" With each puff, the stress and worries of the day seem to dissipate, replaced by a sense of contentment and nostalgia.

He laughs. "You might be right. I mean nine years is a long time."

I smile widely and look at the sky taking one last smoke.

"I'm so happy I get to spend my summers with you." I confess. "Even though I never told you this, but coming here, it makes me happy."

He takes a breath and says, "I would have never admitted it but I am happy you are apart of my summers as well."

"We really are the life of the party, aren't we?" I laugh at the sentimental moment we share right now.

"At least you are getting high." He playfully punches my shoulder.