chapter three

After a peaceful twenty minutes of silence, we descend the stairs with an empty bottle in hand. Somewhere along the way, Carter disappears, leaving me alone on the couch.

I found myself lost in thoughts, just as the high kicks in. Watching everyone here having their fun, some getting intimate, others dancing without a care in the world. It made me wish I could always be as carefree and uninhibited as them.

Suddenly, a boy around my age walks up to me, his presence unexpected yet not creepy. However, I must confess, I am taken aback by his sudden appearance. As I observe him closely, I notice that he stands quite tall, his figure towering over mine, with brunette hair and that's all I can discern in this peculiar blue-purplish glow.

Before I can gather my thoughts and find the courage to speak, he extends a hand towards me, a warm smile gracing his lips.

"Hi."

"Hello." I shoot back.

"All alone?" His voice filled with curiosity .

"Yeah."

"I know it's so suddenly but I have seen you across the room and I think you are really beautiful." He looks me in the eyes.

"Uh, thank you," I try be polite but like he said, it's too suddenly. "You don't look too bad yourself." I compliment him and he nods.

In a spite of moment, he leans in and kisses me, catching me off guard. Instead of resisting, I decide to go along with it and kiss him back. Although this isn't exactly what I had in mind, considering we're complete strangers but it's just for one night, I suppose I can give it a try.

He takes my cheek and grasp onto his neck, making me lay down on the couch. As his hands explore the curves of my body, I feel a rush of desire coursing through me. He stops for a second to catch his breath and says, "Cherry chapstick?"

I just blankly look at him because I have nothing on lips and it's just whatever he smoked or drank. That made him look stupid but I let him do his thing.

He starts kissing me again with such passion, our bodies entwine once more, fueled by a hunger that cannot be denied. And if I'm being honest it's kind of a good make-out for my first time.

As his hand makes his under my shirt, I hear yelling and it progressively gets louder. With the corner of my eye I see Kendrick and another guy arguing. I'm trying as much as possible to focus on the guy that's all over me but the curiosity kills me.

"Sorry." I push the guy — whose name I don't even know — off me, interrupting the make out session and with rapid steps head to the living room where the scene takes place, in the same time trying to figure out where Carter is.

I enter the living room, the scene before me is chaotic and filled with tension. It's clear that emotions are running high, threatening to escalate into something far more dangerous. My heart pounds in my chest, still wondering where the hell is Carter.

Tempers flare, and words that were once exchanged in heated debate are now replaced with shouts and insults. The other guy shoves Kendrick against the wall and that's when I realize things will get worse. Kendrick's eyes widen in surprise and anger as he struggles to regain his balance. I look away for one second when Kendrick delivers a powerful punch to the guy's face, leaving everyone in shock.

The guy, caught completely off guard, stumbled backward, his face contorted in a mixture of pain and astonishment, his eyes burning with a mixture of humiliation and anger.

"Is this how you wanna fuckin' play?" The guy spits out.

I weave my way through the sea of people, to get a better view.

"Kendrick!" I yell over the music and talking. No effect whatsoever and I am not putting myself out there to, no doubt, get hurt as well.

The sound of police sirens blares, right when the unknown guy wants to throw another punch, causing a wave of panic to sweep through the house. The policemen burst through the door, and even though I never seem to catch the sight of them, I know they are inside. Everyone just triggers chaos.

I grab Kendrick's hand tightly, a surge of adrenaline courses through my veins, propelling us forward with urgency. The chaos and commotion of the party fade into the background as we make our way downstairs, the thumping bass of the music reverberating through the walls. I almost slither on the drinks that now are all over the floor. Finally reaching the bottom of the stairs, I scan the area frantically, searching for an exit. My eyes lock onto a door at the far end of the hallway, leading to the backyard. Without hesitation, I pull Kendrick towards it, my grip on his hand unyielding.

The cool night air hits my face as we step outside, offering a momentary respite from the stifling heat of the party. Kendrick and I exchange a quick glance, realizing that the only escape is to run. So we do, without looking back. Leaving behind the party that even after it was busted the colorful lights and music are still on. It was as if the party had taken on a life of its own, determined to keep the night alive long after it had officially ended.

The thought of where Carter is doesn't last too long because I see him running after us but he is not the only one following us. Stray dogs appear out of thin air and keep chasing us until we stop running, which won't be anytime soon.

We take the part of the road that connects two streets with each other so we run on the opposite side of where their house is until we hit the, sort of, main road. It might be a main road but I swear, it's full of goddamn gravel.

"Keep running!" Carter shouts from behind, causing me to look back and tell him that we are already doing exactly that. However, when I turn my head, I find him sprawled on the ground. Unsure of what to do first - whether to ask Kendrick to stop or to help Carter - I choose to lend a hand to Carter and help him stand up.

"Get up," I yell in his face. "Or we are going to die."

And that last sentence makes him stumble on his feet. I also notice Kendrick stopped for a second so I gesture to him to continue running.

From there we dash towards the expansive field and lose track of the dogs, the barking losing it's sound as well.

After pausing to catch our breath, I burst into uncontrollable laughter.

"Fuck, they almost caught us." I exhale.

"That fucking asshole was about to knock me out for good." I hear Kendrick say.

"You were about to finally get a fucking lesson." I hiss at him. "Maybe then you'll learn something."

"Don't tell me. He got into a fight again?" Carter says annoyed.

"I was doing it for a good reason-"

"Hell yeah, you were-"

"The reason being that you are fucking dumb." Carter ends the conversation.

Kendrick's eyes focus on Carter's leg. "Worry about that knee, man." 

"Thanks, it actually hurts." Carter wails in pain, still steady on his legs. I give a reassuring look and start to make my way out of the field, both of them trailing behind me.