chapter four

All of us get out of the field and finally meet a street. This part of the neighborhood is the rich part. Carter and Kendrick live pretty close to the entrance of the suburbs so you will ever see decent houses there, but here? Oh, lord. Three-story houses, each of them having at least two cars in their garage, Olympic pools and even special places for barbeque. Once me and Carter tried to make a friend here, and we succeeded until we had dinner at their place and ate the french fries with our hands. That girl's mom was pissed off and started calling us uneducated. So I unintentionally called her "a rich whore". Let's just say that we don't really get along with them.

"I swear these people have to do something illegal to afford these houses." Kendrick says as we pass a three-house story, and I peek over the fence and notice this enormous pool.

"Come over here." I say and climb that fence.

"Great idea, Freya," Kendrick says annoyed. "You go ahead while I stay here, obviously struggling, to throw him over a fence." However I am surprised the only thing he is worried about is how we are going to do this and not doubting this.

I roll my eyes and jump back. "Let me help you then." And we both lift Carter onto our shoulders, helping him climb up on the fence. We carefully position him, ensuring his safety and stability. Then Kendrick and I also leap over the fence and land on the other side with a thud. We quickly look around to make sure no one saw us trespassing, but no one seems to be home.

I don't say anything because Carter seems to be sharing the same brain as me, and the first thing he does is to take off his shirt and dive into the pool. Me and Kendrick standing too close to the edge of the pool, the sudden rush of cold water soaked us from head to toe.

"Fuck off," I frit through my teeth, removing my shirt and converses, then join Carter in the pool.

"Do you think that's going to relive the pain?" Kendrick asks.

"Possibly." He says and goes underwater.

Kendrick takes a deep breath, hesitating to take off his clothes. I can see his mind is racing. "What if they catch us?"

"They won't." Carter assures him. He firmly clasps Kendrick's hand and drags him into the water. We both burst into laughter, as he is unable to resist the pull, and plunges into the cool, refreshing water. Droplets of water cascade down our faces, mingling with our smiles, as they revel in the sheer delight of the moment.

The air is filled with a gentle breeze, carrying with it a sense of calmness and relaxation. swimming in the pool during the summer nights is a truly refreshing and enchanting experience, but it's also a bit chilly so we decide to get out.

We lay on the poolside, gazing up at the starry sky. The moon casts a soft glow over the surroundings, creating a serene and tranquil atmosphere. Somewhere in the distance, I hear the faded noise of the police sirens and of those who they have caught but the three of us are together and that's all that matters.

"How did they leave this house unwatched?" Carter remarks.

"They were waiting for us to come and take care of it." I say with chuckle. I slip into my shirt, feeling the soft fabric against my skin, starting to get dressed up and the boys do the same. The clothes are slightly damp but who cares? I zip my skirt back and I go towards the door.

I open it and step inside. "A sliding door to the kitchen? Fucking knobs, dude."

I welcome myself in the kitchen, with water dripping from my skirt. The kitchen is so white, that almost blinds you, including the floor. Now it's not so clean. I open the fridge that's full of food. Anything you want and don't. However we are not that mean to take the real goods.

"Enjoy your meals." Kendrick shoves a cracker in his mouth, offering me one.

"I was starving," Carter takes a croissant off the table.

We rummage around a little more until we are full. I then remember that there might be some pain relief cream in the bathroom cabinet, so I quickly make my way there. After a few minutes of searching, I find a tube of soothing cream and carefully apply it to Carter's knee, hoping it will provide some relief. I also come across a band-aid, but it's not sufficient. So, I tear a piece of a tablecloth and use it to wrap around his leg as a makeshift bandage. "Perfect," I look up at him.

"I have to admit, it looks a little bit better." Carter lets a breath out.