Chapter 2. Thoughts

We silently walk down the path, filled with birds chirping, rivers running, and the sounds of our feet walking on rocks. My hair starts to get frizzy and brittle as it starts to dry. Ray, who was beside me, starts to walk even faster. I struggled to keep up, breathing heavy. Joseph looked behind his shoulder, noticing the two of us. He slowed down so he could the same pace as us. We eventually reached a small place where it was nice and clean we could stay for the night. Joseph unpacked the sleeping bags, letting us set them up.

"It's so cold. Did we leave the lighter behind?"
Ray asked, wrapping her sleeping bag around her body.

"Most likely. We didn't have much time to stop and gather stuff before the infected got to us."
Joseph explained.

"What happened anyways? All I remember was waking up to you guys packing frantically then I blacked out."

"Well you passed out then I grabbed most of your stuff, after that Ray carried you since she was the strongest. It's been a day or two since that. You were knocked out."
Joseph chuckled, setting his sleeping bag next to Ray.

The sun had already set, the moon and stars lighting the night. I slowly started to fall asleep, one blink at a time. I yawned and turned over, getting comfortable. I heard the sounds of soft breathing, grass blowing in the wind, the noises of water running in the distance. I closed my eyes.

I woke up in the morning, the first to wake among the other two. I yawned as the morning breeze hitting my body, I shivered. I got back into my sleeping bag to protect myself from the cold. I looked around, wondering how this all started. As I started to think about it, my head became dizzy. I groaned from the pain, making me weak. My eyes went shut, going back to sleep.