Ch 10: Followed

Little Sasuke was still in Kage Naruto's arms as the seventh Hokage trekked through the dense forest with Shisui at his side. The youngest Uchiha's waterworks had died down but he looked ready for a nap now. The sudden activation of his sharingan had been a lot for the kid so he wasn't demanding to walk on his own quite yet.

He was so vulnerable at this age. Everything inside Naruto- Kurama included told him he had to keep him safe. He was careful to cradle Sasuke's head against his arm. Naruto waited until Sasuke's eyes had slid shut for a few minutes before he spoke up.

"Shisui...I need you to go ahead with Sasuke."

They were being followed. Naruto could tell, not that he knew who exactly they were, but he sensed their ill intent and felt their eyes watching them as they walked through the dense forest.

"What for?" Shisui frowned at the seventh Hokage. "Something wrong?"

"We've got a few tails," Naruto revealed already passing the kid over. "and I want my hands."

"Tails? Oh you mean those anbu back there? Don't worry about them...the whole clan is under surveillance with...well you know what's being planned."

"Unfortunately I do, but their intent..."

"It's nothing to be concerned about." Shisui insisted, though he took the slumbering child without complaint. "They'll keep their distance. They have orders not to make contact."

"I see...well if you're certain that's all it is."

"I am." Shisui continued on. "So..." He angled his head as he studied Naruto."...that whole storm cloud thing back at the house...that was Sasuke wasn't it?"

Naruto cracked a smile. A secret smile. "Oh yeah..."

"How'd he....do it?" Shisui wondered, staring down at the sleeping boy in his arms. Naruto had cradled Sasuke's head better but the kid was out cold so Shisui didn't make any moves to adjust him.

"He trained." The answer was so simple yet it gave Shisui pause.

"He trained?" Shisui parroted looking at the child version with budding curiosity. The answer so simple, so vague, that it really didn't answer anything. Just gave him more questions. "I'm not sure I'm following."

"I'd imagine you wouldn't, but you see Sasuke's not a prodigy. Never has been and never will be. It's not how he's wired. He's not like his brother or you from what I've heard. Get that out of your head right now. Don't set him up for feeling like a failure just because he's a different kind of ninja."

"A different kind?" Shisui asked in confusion. Naruto sighed and went on with his explanation.

"In this world, there are two types of ninja. The first kind are ninjas that are born with talent. Like you and Itachi. Everything comes easy and you've just got power shooting out your ass while your in diapers. You plateau by your twenties. Become disillusioned and bored with ninja life. But there's a second kind of ninja. A kind like my husband. The kind of ninja who have to train everyday of their lives just to have any hope of being acknowledged. They're the ones who revolutionize. The ones who put their heart and soul into their training and become magnificent. You give him time, you let him put in the work, and this little guy here, you'll watch him grow to do things that'll make your head explode. Changing the weather just to suit his mood..." Naruto brushed a bit of Sasuke's bangs from his face with gentle fingers. His expression softening.  "...that's child's play."

✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨
I've been toying with this chapter for a ridiculously long time. If I want this story to move forwards I need to just post it. Enjoy or don't- expect a bunch of chapters by this Friday. I gotta catch up to my update schedule. Let me know how you're liking this story guys!