Part 3- High School

I couldn't quite believe it when I got the email that I made the Varsity soccer team. My second round of tryouts had gone well- well enough that Amber said something to me again- but I still wasn't entirely sure if I was going to make the team.

I got the email after school, when I was in my room doing homework. I immediately went downstairs to tell my mom. She was in the kitchen, cooking dinner.

"I made the team!" I said to her. My younger sister, Carly, was also in the kitchen, talking to my mom.

"Oh my god, that's wonderful!" my mom said, putting down the spatula she was using and going to hug me.

I hugged her back, and as I pulled away, Carly smiled at me.

"Good job," she said, "I'm happy for you."

"Thank you," I said to Carly, "I can't believe you're saying you're happy for me."

She rolled her eyes but smiled, and my mom said, "This is amazing, Al. You better believe I'm going to be coming to your games."

"Just don't embarrass me too much," I laughed.

"I might just bust out my cheerleader uniform from high school," my mom joked.

My mom, Kari Ardana, has always been more like my friend. I don't remember it being any other way. She's only recently 35 years old, she had me when she was 18, and then Carly when she was 21. I've always been grateful to have her as my mom, and I've always felt like can tell her anything as well.

Well, almost anything.

While there is a lot of love in my family, I can't say we haven't struggled, mainly financially. It took my mom a while to be able to figure out what she wanted to do, and maintain a job. Now she is doing well in her career. She the director of a daycare, and she has been for a few years now. But there were some really tough times as she was figuring things out.

I used to have to tell myself this was her first time living life as well. She was bound to make mistakes.

While there was a lot of joy in me making the Varsity team, there was also doubt in my mind.

Can I handle this along with my school work?

Will I even be good?

What if I wind up being terrible and they regret letting me join the team?

Those thoughts loomed over me as I had my first practice on September 20th, a Thursday after school.

My best friend, Erin Daniels, walked with me to the locker room before practice.

"You're doing to do amazing," she said to me, "You'll kick ass out there."

"I'm not so sure I will," I said, "But I appreciate it, Er. I'll text you after practice."

"You better," Erin said, giving me a quick hug.

There were a few other girls from the team changing in the locker room. I went into my own area that was cornered off, where no one could watch me change out of my jeans and t-shirt and into my soccer uniform.

It felt really good, to wear the official jersey for my schools team. I pulled my hair back into a ponytail, and then made my way out to the field.

I was not going to be late this time.

In fact, I was quite early. The only other one out there was Amber.

I swallowed nervously when I saw her. She wore a black tank top that was completely cut out at the sides, and I could see that she had a sports bra on underneath. Her arms were just as toned as her legs.