Why the Music?!-no ship(part 1, part 2 may have ships)

(No excuse, I’m just a lazy ass who hasn’t written in forever. Anyway, I’m back! Causally dropping hints of my headcanoned multiverse through one-shots. Also, I updated my headcanons chapter, so go check that out.)

Blue was starting to go crazy. Everytime he tried to talk to somebody, there was this weird music playing in the background. It wasn’t loud enough to drown out any words, but it was always right there.

And it wasn’t the same kind of song with everyone either. Oh no, that would be too easy, wouldn’t it Fate? No, each and every person Blue talked to had a different little ‘theme song’.

On top of that, it changed sometimes, so it wasn’t even the same song for the same person! Oh, what did he do to deserve this….

“Hey, Berry? You doin’ alright?”

Blue jolted at the voice, his tail flicking in surprise. The unmistakably creepy notes drifting around already told him who it there, and a quick glance up showed the singular red eyelight Horror. Blue gave himself a quick shake, throwing on a perfected false smile.

“I’m alright, dear friend. Just thinking…”

He was met with a skeptical look before Horror sighed, nodding and walking away. Blue sighed in relief, dropping his head onto his hands with a groan. Unfortunately for him, his only way of escaping the stream of music was to be alone, which was not an experience Blue was keen on.

So, he did the next best thing. A few deep breaths, a bit of focusing on his magic, and a glitched and icy portal opened up in front of him. He stood, readjusting his bandana before walking through, and subsequentislly regretting it.

One theme at a time is a pain. Two is pushing his limits. Three at once? Awful. And on top of that, they weren’t the soft themes that played when a person was calm. Oh no. No, this was much worse.

As much as Blue would love to go and say hi to his best friends, Dream was currently in the middle of fighting Nightmare, and Error was a bit busy trying to stop the two. Blue groaned quietly, though he couldn’t hear it beneath the three increasingly louder themes playing throughout the anti-void. 

It was bad enough when Error got pissed off and his glitched out song skyrocketed in volume. No, the way the two guardians’ themes would meld when in battle seemed to only get louder to be heard through the static. Not the best for Blue’s already horrid mood. 

With another near-silent huff, Blue opened yet another portal. He stumbled through it, a few glitches making his leg spasm out as he closed the portal behind him. He let out a relieved sigh at the near silence of the Save Screen before glancing down.

His left leg was badly glitching, parts of the bone turning black. He cursed quietly before a soft song drifted through the void. He looked up to see an amused grin on Geno’s face, the glitch over his  eye being waved away as he walked closer.

“Heya B. Been a while since you visited. You looking a little, heh, blue.”

A scowl and a middle finger was its response, prompting a laugh out of the half-dead skeleton.

“Yeah yeah, laugh it up. Jerk…”

Blue limped over, Geno immediately wrapping an arm around him in support. The pair walked over to the little grassy area, where Geno gently set Blue down before sitting next to him.

The strange noise of the Save Screen spread around the two of them, with Geno’s own odd theme mixing in. Blue could feel one of his eye sockets start to twitch with mild annoyance, a fact they Geno clearly picked up on.

“You alright? You seem about ready to kill me the rest of the way.”

Blue glanced up at him, giving his usual fake smile. Which didn’t work since Geno cut him off before he could begin.

“The truth, not the bullshit lie you’ve told people.”

The smile slipped from his face quickly, an annoyed sigh leaving him.

“…it’s the music. It’s been driving me mad, and I don’t know if it’s some prank everyone has been pulling on me or what, but it’s killing me.”

Geno raised a bone brow-brow before snickering quietly, which then turned into a full-blown laugh. Blue looked at it with an offended face, tail lashing in annoyance.

“Holy shit! Wow, that’s the funniest thing I’ve heard in a while! You can hear the themes? And you thought it was a prank?”

“The hell you mean ‘the themes’? Can you hear them too?”

Geno finally stopped laughing, though a few chuckles still escaped it. He looked at Blue with a faintly sympathetic look in his eye.

“It’s a glitch thing. All of us can hear those theme songs. Error can, I can, hell, even 404 can. The creators give every person, every place, everything in the multiverse a theme. Us glitched out pieces of code can hear them.”

Blue just stared at him before facepalming.

“Oh for fucks sake…and you’re not fucking with me? You’re serious?”

Geno nodded, smiling at him. He pulled out his phone, going to some random app before tapping on a recording. 

“Here. This one should be familiar.”

Against his own wishes, Blue leaned in to listen better. It was a shockingly familiar tune, one that played whenever Dream started going on about one of his fixations. He just looked up at Geno, a questioning look on his face.

“Dream came over a week or so ago. Started talking about some plant he had. I took a recording of his theme, I actually really like it. Proof enough for you?”

Blue just gave a wordless nod, shocked that he had actually been hearing this music and it wasn’t just a prank.

“Damn…could others hear the themes through recordings?”

“Nah. I tried with Reaper, but all he heard was Dream spouting nonsense about an Angel’s Trumpet for an hour.”

So it’s only us..damn.

“Well that’s a shame. Thanks for telling me, I’ve been going mad for years.”

A glitched out laugh from Geno was his answer, prompting his own soft laugh to echo through the Save Screen.

“Yeah, it’s no problem, B. Anyway, wanna stay for a bit? I’m bored and your leg ain’t good just yet.”

Blue glanced down at his still screwed-up leg before looking back up, smiling at his friend.

“Yeah sure. Sweet music by the way.”

(End note, all the music and character themes referred to in this chapter? All based on the themes from Xtha on YouTube. Specifically, "Greed" for Horror's theme, "Eccentricity" for Error, "Duality" for Dream/Nightmare, and "Plummet" for Geno. Great music, go check them out! The Save Screen music is just based on the starting save screen music in game.)