prologue

chicago, march, 1995.

  "Lucy?"

No reply. Just a quiet sniffle muffled by her hand. A soft knock on the bathroom door made her squeeze her eye shut, letting the hot tears flood down her cheeks.

  "Lu, it's me. Can you open that door, please?" hre mother's voice was thick with epmathy and concern -- something she thought she didn't deserve. "Por favor, mija."

  "Go away." she gave her a watery reply.

  "Sweetie, I know what happened." her forehead touched the wood, her muffled voice hardly reaching her through the ringing noise in he ears.

  Lucille's breath hitched.

  "Y-you do?" her body fluttered with panick as she clenched on her hair.

  "I'm afraid everyone does."  she sighed, defeated. "I just want to know-"

  She didn't finish as the door unlocked and her daughter stumbled outside and fell directly into her arms, crying out in agony.

  "It's over mom. I can't do this anymore, it hurts so much..." She wailed, her sobs dying in the material of her sweater. "I loved him. I loved him so much it hurt."

  Donna held her close refusing to let go. Lucy needed her, just like she did when her husband died and her daughter was there for her. Her beautiful twelve year old sunshine who did everything in her power to help her get through this. And she did. Now, it was her time to help her, whaterever it takes.

  "Shh...I know baby. I know it hurts. Let it out, I'm here." She stroked her hair, slowly lowering them on the floor of their apartment to sit down. "It's going to be okay, mija. I promise you're going to be okay."

  She shook her head, her body shaking violently as she let out another whine and drowned in her tears once again.

  Fuck you, Clint Dawson - Donna cursed in her thoughts, still comforting her crying daughter. Her only daughter who suffers now because of his actions. Because he's a cheating piece of shit who shpuldn't be even alive at this point.   I hope karma gets you before I do.

· · ·

laredo, texas, 8.34 p.m

He picked up his ringing phone and sighed in annoyance. Who could possibly be calling him at such an hour? Was it Daniel? Or Henrietta? No, he just came back from her after fixing the leaking sink in her bathroom. Chucho? No, he was supposed to come over tomorrow.

"Hello?" he rasped. He didn't like to be interrupted when taking his rest.

"¿Qué pasa con la actitud, eh?  ¿No te alegra saber de tu hermana?"

He grinned hearing the familiar accent of his dear sister. They haven't seen eachother since the funeral but still promised to call every couple of months.

"I missed your yappin'" he laughed, making her scoff. "How are you doing? Chicago treats you well?"

"It does but that's not the reason I called." she explained, a hint of sadness in her tone that immediately alarmed him.

"Everything good? Did something happened to you? How's Lucy?"

Never in a million years he thought that someone could make their way to his heart like she did. He met her when she was still a kid, at the funeral of her father. She was a sweet, little girl, touched by a tragedy that left a huge print on the whole family as well. He couldn't even imagine how hard it was for her to lose someone especially at such a young age. But Lucy shocked everyone with how strong she was to acknowledge the death of one of the closest person she had. She was braver than he expected, taking care of his sister, being there for her when he couldn't. He was grateful for her, everyday thanking the God for giving them

"That's why I'm callin'" she explained and fell silent for a moment. "We need your help."

· · ·