chapter three: eggs and chocolate brown eyes

"You want me to do what?" she asked, pacing around the stables

"Ride a horse," he mused. "You know how, right?"

"No?" she shook her head helplessly. "I'm not going to ride a horse."

"Betsy's as good as angel. She's no harm."

"Can we just do something else? Like...I don't know, maybe clean up the attic or go fishing?"

"You're really that scared of a horse?" he arched his brow, patting Betsy who was busy on chewing hay. "Guess Donna didn't had time to get you used to them."

"I'm not scared of Betsy." she protested and walked up to stroke her head a bit. "I just don't trust myself anymore."

Mack sighed, his shoulders dropping. He knew it was hard for her. And maybe this whole healing process took a wrong turn. Maybe Laredo wasn't a place for her?

He really did want to help her. To forget, to give her old life back. To see that smile more. And he didn't know what to tell Donna anymore. She called him at the end of the week and asked about her daughter but he simply didn't have words for this. Lucille wasn't getting any better. Sure, she could crack some jokes but he was the only one to laugh at them. She was pretty distant and closed up in herself and being here -- in foreign land, with no friends or anyone close besides him, didn't help at all.

"Okay, if you don't wanna ride with me than at least do me a favor, will ya?" he asked, sitting on the small chair outside. Lucille followed him, her expression still hard for him to read.

"I gotta an appointment in the town and I promised Chucho to bring him some eggs. He lives just across. You shouldn't have a problem with finding him."

Lucille crossed her arms and licked her lower lip. It shouldn't be that difficult right?

"Yeah, I'll manage." came out as a short reply that made him smile, a bit more hopeful now.

· · ·

What the hell was she doing here?

She shouldn't even come here at first. She should've just stay at home and cry her heart out in peace when no one would judge her.

Fuck this. Fuck Clint. Fuck her miserable life.

Her legs carried her to Chucho's ranch in the matter of minutes but she felt like it's already been hours of walking in that heat. She  looked around in hope to spot him somewhere but there was no one except for herself and a couple of animals.

Fantastic. Fucking fabulous.

She gathered the courage and went to knock at his door, this time praying that he will answer it and make her leave this place as fast as possible.