chapter one: time to heal

laredo, june 1995

laredo, june 1995.

Something about that hot, Texan air reminded her of the day she met Clint.

And it made things even harder for her just from the start. Because as much as she wanted to forget about him, throw away everything that was left of him, she couldn't wipe off those blurred memories from her head, that kept repeating.

Over and over.

Her mom told her that uncle Mack will pick her up straight from the airport. She didn't say much about him, apart from the obvious things. The last time Lucy saw him was during a funeral of her father. She was only twelve years old when they met. Perhaps if she looked at the photo she could recognize him, but the chances were slim.

She got out of the plane, following the other passengers to the exit. She came out just to stumble upon a huge number of people that created a crowd of bodies surrounding her.

It was enough to make her breathing go faster.

"Lucille?"

A deep, southern drawl made her spin around. Her eyes met with the ones that belonged to an older cowboy standing right in front of her. The years spent in here spoke for themselves with the way how rugged and anguished he looked.

She on the other hand must've looked like little puppy who got lost. Such a pathetic, first expression. Probably not what he expected from his only niece and the stories from her his sister.

"Uncle Mack?" she decided to go for it, still having trouble with recognising the man.

He cocked an eyebrow at her.

"When Donna told me that you have a hard time, I didn't know she meant looking like you've been hit by a car." he chirped.

Normally she would've laughed but all that escaped her was a heavy sigh.

"And here I was thinking that the makeup would fix it all." She mumbled, making him chuckle before taking her suitcase from her.

"That was a good one, nena."

The two chatted casually about everyday matters, but Lucille was always careful to keep her words vague and her tone cautious. She spoke of their life in Chicago, the changes her mother made, and  most importantly her new job that turned out to be just excellent choice. Yet, she never shared details about herself beyond the bare minimum.

As they drove through the countryside, she took in the beauty of the Southern landscape. She caught herself glancing to the windows, then back at her hands, unable to bear too long a look at him. She was nervous, excited, and a little apprehensive. She had no idea what awaited her in the place they were headed but she only hoped that it won't make it things worse 

"So, is there anything you want to see in particular or--"

"Can we please go home for now?" she pleaded, cutting him off. Her uncle hummed in response and nodded, taking the turn.