Lost part 2

"You took the stone and lit up the darkness... We followed you through the maze of Maerve, and you glowed like a star." Lord Garrith said, "Your power was stunning. But when we got out of the Caverns, the am Nevad force that chased us was there waiting. We thought we were done for, and probably would have met our end there with their arrows and swords- but you waved your hand-" He mimicked the gesture as he spoke, "and all their arrows burst into white flames- and their bows and their clothes and some of the trees as well. They were dispatched quickly and efficiently. They were terrified."
And so were these men. Ciara could read it from their eyes as they looked at her.
"You saved our lives, my lady." Link said, pushing his hair away from his face. He had a squarish jaw and a long neck, and he looked like he had not slept in a week. "I cannot express my gratitude- our gratitude."
Link was soft spoken and sincere, he even had tears in his eyes... but my head was in a whirlwind.
"I can't make things ...spontaneously burst into flames," I objected, feeling very confused and a little frightened. I looked at Jaypith, who was watching me intently as well- as though he expected me to start remembering now. "I don't know anyone who can. That sounds unbelievable."
They looked at each other with amazement in their eyes, and seemed blown away by my response. Why? I couldn't possibly have done what they said. I was unconscious. Wasn't I?
"It is true." Jaypith confirmed sincerely. "You are the reason we are alive. The Nevad force would have slaughtered us."
My mind was racing. The glowing stone entered my mind. The weird visions and images that popped into my head.... The light of a portal, inside the black lake. My world view suddenly grew fifty times larger as I realized this was real. They had no reason to lie to me. My mouth dropped open.
"That stone- that stone must have done it," I said, feeling the blood drain from my face. "I couldn't have."
"That stone pulls its power largely from you." Jaypith said, placing a hand on my shoulder soothingly, and I started at his touch. "I told you before, a powerful Seer's blood runs through your veins."
I looked at him uneasily, and he removed his hand awkwardly, as though realizing I was bothered by his touch.
"Quit chattin' and let her eat, before ya scare her off." Tallen said gruffly. He looked at me expectantly, but I was still processing.
"...so... I really am in another world?" I clarified, my voice sounding small to my own ears. "Like- no going back?"
I looked at their faces, and they all looked at me with different levels of pity and discomfort. Even Tallen looked uncomfortable.
Jaypith nodded, his eyes apologetic. "Not any time soon. The Nevad have claimed this land and mountain where the portal lies. It was ...suicide to go as far as we did to get you. We have quite the task in getting back to AriValore as it is."
There was a moment of silence as the men grew sober, thinking about things that happened I assumed. Overwhelmed, I leaned over, hand over my face.
"Twas not suicide- we all knew the risks." The blond bearded man (Quint? I tried to remember his name) muttered. "And it has fared far better than any of us hoped- Fate holds mage Devon and mage Archer, but most of us are still alive."
"It is not over yet." Lord Garreth said, looking visibly grumpy.
"Yes, but now we have a Seer with us." Link said, agreeing with Quint. "After last night, I feel completely confident that we will make it back to AriVali before the Harvest Festival."
They all looked at me, and I saw something in their eyes now- confusion. Most of them were not sure about my ability to help them on their journey to this other place. And to confess, I was extremely dubious myself- and dumbfounded. How could anyone place that much faith in me? I was just a girl.
"Oh." I gasped, realizing I had tipped my bowl. The hot liquid burned my fingers a little, and I nearly dropped it.
"Let the lady eat." Tallen demanded, shaking his head as Jaypith opened his mouth to speak. Jaypith shut his mouth again, looking at me expectantly. His face, even with stubble and circles under his eyes, was distractingly handsome. I felt very self conscious.
Eating with an audience of grisly and dirty men. In the dark, and in the woods. On another planet. It couldn't get any worse, could it? I slowly lifted the bowl to my lips, smelling gingerly. Tallen looked like if I did not eat whatever it was he would have a conniption, and so I blew on it to cool it for a bit, and made myself sip while everyone watched. It was awkward to say the least, but I soon forgot my self-consciousness.
It was like an extra herbie chicken soup, and as I swallowed, I felt it warm my very soul. I closed my eyes and let the heat from the bowl steam my face. Suddenly it did not matter who was watching as I felt it warm my body.
"There now." Tallen nodded, satisfied. "That's what a little thing like you needs. Tipper stew. You look like the right wind could blow you away."
Tipper? Was that like chicken? I didn't care. I sipped some more, breathing in the aroma as I swallowed. It nearly burned my tongue.
"This is amazing," I said, looking at the bearded man with respect. "You made this over a fire?"
He beamed as the men chuckled. He then moved to stoke the fire some more.
"Have as much as ya like, lass." He said gruffly. I could tell he wasn't used to compliments.
"Nobody cooks like Tallen," Jaypith said easily, smiling. "He can make something out of anything."
"You could throw Quint's modly stockings in there, and it would come out a beautiful banquet." Link said, elbowing the grumpy Quint, who looked very unamused.
"Is not a person on this land that could fix foot stockings as those." Tallen said, and the men all laughed- except for Quint, who muttered something and walked away. The others seemed to expect it, and said nothing.
I was barely paying attention. I was blowing on the stew and sipping as fast as the temperature would allow. As it hit my stomach, I begin to feel the edges of my fear soften a little. Perhaps I was stuck here for now- wherever "here" was. I could not let myself quite trust these people just yet. Despite not trusting them, I knew I could at least give them the benefit of the doubt. Nobody like Tallen, gruff old man he was, could ever be a cold-blooded murderer. I knew that instinctively. And Kein- continually staring at me from the ground- was only a teen, probably close to my age. I wondered how he ended up on this supposed "suicide" mission.
At any rate, I began to feel like I wouldn't be murdered in the woods. At least not any time soon.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning.

I was afraid to use the comb at first, but soon realized that I had no other option. I pulled my hair back into a high ponytail with my hair elastic, using the water to keep it where it needed to go. Despite my best efforts, a few strands kept falling around my face. What was the point, I wondered? I couldn't tame it if I tried. I had no hairspray or gel, let alone a mirror. Natural curls could be a pain at times.
I looked at my jeans, and saw that there was a new hole near the knees that did not used to be there. It didn't look intentionally distressed any more, as I had previously hoped. Clothing was not at the top of my priority like rent and food was. This rip must have happened when Chaz had shoved me into the pavement. I wondered how long my clothes would last, and if there was such a thing as a clothing store here. I really doubted it, judging from the way people here seemed to be dressed in homespun and leather. I rolled up the legs of my jeans a little bit to hide the dirt on the hems, and shook some of the dust off of my sneakers. I bet they did not have washing machines here either. I smelled like dirt and sweat and campfire, and my shirt was still stained black on one shoulder- But hey, this all wasn't terribly new. I've roughed it before. I silently wished for a mirror, shrugged, gathered my strength and headed out the door of the tent.
Men were everywhere in the crisp morning air, packing up and tearing down tents with efficiency I had never seen before. They seemed as though they had done this a hundred times at least. I jumped in fear and surprise, gasping as Rion greeted me from the side of the door. I calmed a little as I realized he probably had been waiting to speak to me, and that Jaypith was over saddling a couple of horses to my left.
"I am sorry if I startled you," he said politely, smiling in that way he had before, that reminded me of how young he was. He could be a Junior in college somewhere in my world.
"Is the stone...?" I couldn't help noticing the pouch was gone from his side.
"With Lord Jaypith." Rion said, gesturing to the man over at the horses. "He took it, thinking you might be more receptive to talking with me if I did not wear it. He seems to think I owe you an apology... which I suppose I do."
He looked at me a bit uncomfortably as he spoke, and seemed contrite despite his simplicity. He seemed like a very direct and likable person. I just didn't always like his honesty.
"Well you have been using me as a human rock battery." I said uncomfortably, folding my arms instinctively over my chest. "I prefer to know where I am and what I am doing- and whether or not I am going to vomit blood in the morning- or- or  light things on fire."
He cringed. "When you say it in that way, I suppose I have behaved rather abominably." He admitted. "I assure you I had no idea of what would happen when I bound the stone to you."
"Is that your version of an apology?" I asked blandly. I may be soft but I knew what an apology was.
He looked at me with surprise, and struggled for words for a moment. Finally, he ducked his head like a cowed schoolboy.
"I am sorry, my Lady."
I looked at him in surprise, feeling a little nonplussed. I had been expecting an argument and had geared up for one. He seemed sincere, though, even if he found my accusations to be slightly entertaining.
"I am confused." I said simply, seeing his sincerity.
"Confused why?" He asked, a small, humored smile on his face at my reaction.
"Because I thought that's why I was brought here. And I was brought here against my will." I said lamely.
"We do not make a habit of abducting women from the void." Rion said, now frowning. "I hope you understand that. We have laws by which we try to abide. Laws of honor and good conduct."
"And those laws included kidnapping me?" I asked, shaking my head in frustration.
"I said 'try'." He clarified, looking a little embarrassed. "Lord Jaypith is feeling incredibly guilty about it, I assure you- he believes that he behaved desperately and abominably; he feels as though he owes a great penance."
"A penance?" I asked, feeling confused.
"A life- debt if you will." Rion explained, "I am certain he shall tell you in a reasonable amount of time so I shall not say too much. Just know that we have every intention of showing you that we are not as uncouth as we initially led you to believe."
I met his eyes with both surprise and confusion. Jaypith felt he owed me some kind of life debt? These people had a moral code they followed, and were sincere in their apologies?