Chapter 26

Xiao Yi leaned back in the chair as he lazily scrolled through the assassination section to see if there were any that he either didn't want to deal with or something that got his blood boiling for bloodshed.

An assassination could be ordered by any player above level 25 against another player, a team of 5, or even an entire guild but only assassins could view the contents of the postings. That being said, if one had an assassin friend they could figure out if they were being targeted and be ready but it was rare for the majority of players.

Or, if one was an assassin they could also see if they were being targeted, too.

Assassins would choose from these targets by a variety of factors, but the most important was the ranking system. Targets were ranked into S, A, B, C, and D. S being the highest skilled, most dangerous, but also most expensive missions.

Assassins themselves weren't ranked, though. A little new assassin with absolutely no skills could attempt to take on a S-level target but it was often them who were embarrassed.

Once the mission is accepted, they receive more information about the target from the poster's point of view and sometimes, the exact reason they want them assassinated is part of their ramblings. It's quite entertaining. Once the job was completed, the mission would disappear and the assassin would receive full gold from the task poster, class points, and experience points from the job center.

Xiao Yi carefully looked through each posting before he eventually ended up clicking on an S class target and hitting 'accept'. If one looked closely, he barely spent time processing listings without max-level characters. He didn't like bullying anyone.

A max-level human mage. Sleepy moved away from the job board in glee.

He loved fighting against mages. They were always so confident toward assassins because they could stun or freeze them.

It was fun to see them get angry after dying and nearly every single mage he'd slaughtered would throw a cute little fit.

At this point, it was just a nice bonus to get paid to kill a mage.

He smirked and checked the map for his target before his fingers ran over the keyboard and his character became translucent. In other people's view, there was no one standing near the job board.

Invisibility. It was an assassin skill only available if the assassin was an elf race, as it was a combo skill. It required high hand speed and could only be broken if a player accurately hit them while they were invisible, otherwise, it would wear off in 10 minutes unless the assassin removed it themselves.

It seemed like an overpowered move but it was quite challenging to execute. Some players could execute it on a whim, but not consistently. Some players couldn't do it at all, or they could only do the version that gave them 5 minutes of invisibility. Xiao Yi himself spent days on end practicing the steps alone in his backyard before he was able to execute the skill perfectly.

The map only gave an approximate location of the player he needed to kill, his name, the reason for the assassination... His target was currently in a safe zone, the first capital city which he'd left only minutes prior.

'What a pity... Does he know he has a target on his back?'

Safe zones protect players against PVP attacks. They don't protect against assassins who have taken a mission on, though.

He teleported into the city. His character moved gracefully around the players who were happily chatting, looking at the stalls set up on the streets as he scanned for the name of his target. Ryuk.

He didn't find him on the streets, so he started to look in business establishments. He'd made his way through 2 buildings before he found the target in a player-run restaurant sitting across from another player. The blood elf jumped onto an empty table and reached to pull himself onto an open wooden beam in the middle of the room and crouched as he made his way above his target.

Ryuk was an orange-named player, which meant that he'd killed at least 20 people in the week before Xiao Yi accepted the hit, which was quite normal. Especially given the fact that the icon next to Ryuk's name suggested he was a high-ranking official in his guild.

His friend, however, was a bit more threatening to Xiao Yi than the little mage. A red-named player that had killed at least 50 players normally wasn't concerning but combined with his guild master badge and being a rare wood elf race with a hunter class... That was a tad concerning.

Xiao Yi tapped his finger against the table as his eyes narrowed.

Hunters were similar to assassins. They could attack at any range, but they also used traps and bows. Because they were so similar to one another, hunters had an easier time with assassins. It could be said that they were natural enemies.

He couldn't tell what the players were talking about. They were using their voices, judging from the little bubbles above their head, and he was just out of range to hear their conversation. He also found that, well, he just didn't care to eavesdrop.

What he did care about was if that hunter would leave or if he'd have to kill his friend in front of him, get placed on a guild hit list once more, and have to deal with little rodents chasing after him.

Patreon's back on schedule and I've decided the release date for One and Only: Ten Thousand Years will be December 1st, 2024. The Scum Prince will be released soon after, possibly on February 1st, 2025. [1 chapter a day schedule].