Part XV

Listening to the infamously beautiful symphony was a lovely experience, not to mention being there together, holding hands the whole way through.

It made Ukraine's heart glow to see him genuinely enjoy their time together, because sure, it was a little expensive, but what she wouldn't give to make him happy. If only that night wouldn't end, it was the most free she'd felt in a long time.

Nada would squeeze her hand gently every now and then, just to acknowledge her and it would put a smile on her face, and in turn, his too.

The second movement in particular had always spoken to them in such an ethereal way. It was an eloquently moving piece of musical genius that was unbelievably sentimental.

The symphony ended with a thunderous ovation, and soon after, most people were leaving.

They exited the building quietly, still
mesmerised by the music that lingered in their minds. It was raining lightly, though the moon still tried to peek through the foggy clouds.

She inhaled through her teeth, "Ugh, it's cold." she said, rubbing her arm that was covered with a thin cardigan as they walked around the side of the building to where Nada had parked the car.

"I can fix that." Nada said with a chuckle, putting his arms around her from behind and leaning against the wall, a ledge above them serving as shelter.

She smiled as she felt her cheeks flaring up, resting her hands on his forearms.

She leant into it as they stood in comfortable silence, gazing at the waxing moon and twinkling stars peeking through the thin clouds. This had become so normal, but it was abnormally peaceful.

"Nada?" Ukraine said, piercing the ambient noise of rain and the gentle breeze but not averting her eyes.

"Yes?" Canada replied, tilting his head to look down at her.

"I've been wanting to ask you about this..." She pondered, Nada's mind beginning to race, but not for a reason he could put his finger on.

"Go on." He said simply.

"Well, what are we? I don't want to rush you at all, but... well, it's been awhile now." She said, still watching the night sky, Canada's body temperature keeping her sufficiently warm.

"I... I don't know, what would you like it to be?" He said, just praying with everything he had not to make it too uncomfortable.

"Um... I don't really know either, but I'd never want to lose this. It's stupid, but you mean everything to me." She replied, finally looking down.

He smiled at her words, and he couldn't deny it, it felt kind of stupid, but what is love if not genuine affection? It doesn't matter if it feels or sounds dumb or insignificant, if you mean it, it's real. And in that moment, he realised how he hadn't replied. Only their synchronised breathing and the very light pattering of rain keeping him grounded to reality.

"I- well, likewise, I don't think I can live happily without you." He said, his tone hushed but very much heartfelt. Again, he laughed at how he felt saying that, they were only young, but it was true.

"What I'm trying to say is, I would love if you would be my partner." He said, almost trailing off, his heart was fast and probably noticeably so. Ukraine stayed silent in astonishment, not like she didn't see it coming, but at the way he reciprocated her way of words.

"I..." She began, making Nada's heart drop as he failed to prevent the previous thoughts from getting to him.

A short silence passed, no one moved a muscle.