Part III: A Handmaiden's Quarrel

The final part of Anakin and Dormè's story. I really hope I did it justice🤍😅

┊ ┊⋆ ┊ .

The HoloNet officially dubbed the Jedi as the Hero With No Fear.

All across the planets he traversed with his 501st Legion alongside his Padawan he viewed and squabbled with like a sibling. She'd witnessed this in his body language. The snarky Togruta Dormè grew a fondness for, as she became intimately familiar with details of the Chosen One.

A few of his troopers Dormè became accustomed to by actual name. The General himself viewed the clone troopers as men rather than servile machinations solely bred for war. He'd talked of their personalities, traits that set them apart and physical manipulations done to their appearance to differentiate themselves.

Yet Anakin Skywalker, their warfaring General lost many of his men in the heat of battle. He'd believed the bloodshed left upon his hands were permanently stained. Had charred the corners of his soul and irrevocably darkened the shadows dusted under his eyes.

The moment her holo would signal Dormè was there to aid him in his discomfort. Rearranging her nighttime schedules to do so. The agony that would surface in his eyes as his defenses were slowly brought down, had been enough for her to to truly see behind his guard.

Because he let her.

He vowed his past mistakes would not reflect in this new relationship that blossomed between them. As the months passed and the thread of their lives became more intertwined between war, and the moments of solitude when a tenuous breath could at last be taken—

It was in those stolen moments, Dormè began her descent of falling for the infamous Anakin Skywalker.

She discovered it upon the first soft smile—felt in ages—that touched her lips after a particular grueling hearing in the Senate. A blush that would flush her skin recalling flattery Anakin was more than adept to disclose. The tumultuous web of thoughts that would pervade while aiding her Lady on a mission to a Separatist planet. The subtle gnaw of her lip in the midst of formal dinners with various diplomats and oligarchies—reminiscing on the azure of those soulful eyes. The honed muscle visible under tunics he'd don in his sleeper chamber, aboard his ship the Resolute.

It was no secret the Jedi was strikingly handsome. Holo billboards loved to exploit him as their poster boy of a war hero.

She herself had been attracted but had knew her boundaries. Of course, this further blurred to nearly indistinguishable as the months passed. Eventually the time came to confess to Padmè, before the guilt could swallow her whole. She'd felt she'd somehow transgressed a girl code. So she came clean.

However, Padmè completely surpassed all expectation when the evening of Dormè's confession commenced. Padmè was quiet yet remained considerate before offering her sincere advice; a forewarning the Jedi strictly abided by. The very hindrance that once caused strife in she and Anakin's own relationship. Her only request was to keep their affections out of the public eye for their sake.

They had a reputation to uphold with eyes always upon them. Padmè was still a Senator. She was her head handmaiden, the Padmè Amidalas closest confidante and decoy, both in the public and behind closed doors.

It was exactly eleven months to the day, before Dormè was given the news of the General Skywalker's homecoming. Officially the Jedi was grounded for several rotations as their squadron recuperated. Padmè herself had delivered the news with a small, knowing smile and the subtlest of nods in her direction. Only after Chancellor Palpatine had dismissed the Loyalist committee meeting Padmè was on the board of.