Chapter four

Chapter 04

Chapter 04

It started out as something innocent. Two teens in love.  Little did they know that their love would spiral into a tale of struggle and survival.

Minho's parents met in high school and fell in love, although some would argue that it wasn't. They were both rather reckless. Both went out to party more than they should, experimented with things they shouldn't have. Maybe if someone paid more attention to their behaviour, they could've been stopped in time.

But no one did. After too many drunk nights together, the couple struggled with the unwanted pregnancy. By the time they found out, it was already too late. Their parents turned their back on them, since they didn't have the financial abilities to support another child, and also out of disappointment. No one supported them through these difficult times, which resulted in them dropping out of school to get a job and a place to live.

You would think the couple would learn from their mistakes and grow stronger together, they did for a while, but it wasn't enough. Soon after the birth of their son, the couple fell back into their old habits. The financial stress got too much after they needed to pay for numerous hospital bills and supplies for their baby boy. They ended up resenting him for what he put them through and for ruining their lives. As if it wasn't all on them.

The first few years of his life weren't as bad as the ones that came after. It started out as neglect. Till this day, Minho wasn't completely sure on whether it happened on purpose or not. His parents were either drunk or high most of the time, if they weren't sleeping or at work. No one would play with him and he would get yelled at if he dared to ask. He learned to be by himself from a very young age.

Food was the main problem. He would have to go days without food sometimes. No one noticed since his parents kept him home most of the time. And when he was old enough and forced to go to school, he knew how to keep it a secret. There were multiple threats made to the boy. "Speak, and I'll show you what real pain is" being one of them.

Around the age of twelve, the abuse got more violent. He would often get dragged around by his arm and locked up in his room when he misbehaved. Meaning he asked something at the wrong time, accidentally spilled his drink or any other ridiculous thing that his parents weren't able to handle. The punishment was often followed by any insult they were able to think of, and beating once he got a little older.

He was still carrying the scars of the cigarettes that got pressed into his skin at multiple occasions.

It all came to an end one day. Although unexpected and involuntary. At the age of 15, his father overdosed on whatever drugs he was taking at the time. His mother was too shocked and scared of the situation and left her little boy all alone with her dead husband on the couch.
( A.N:  This was so dramatic of me, I'm not sure why I added that. Poor minho)

Minho, being the young and scared child he was, wasn't sure what to do about the situation. He stayed in that house for at least three days until the school reported his absence and neighbours informed the police about the horrible smell that came from the other house.

It all ended that day. He finally got rescued but had to relive the nightmare every time he closed his eyes. Even to this day, he still has bad dreams about everything that happened to him, it affected him daily.

Minho got adopted in only a few months. By a woman named Ha Sooyoung. He was aware that older kids and especially teens were less likely to get adopted, especially with a past like his. Luckily, it things turned out differently for him, and it was the best thing to ever happen to him.

His mother wasn't planning on taking him, like most people, she wanted to raise a baby. After seeing Minho in there with that terrified look on his face, she knew she had to help him. He deserved to be loved as much as anyone else did.

The boy was nervous about living with a new family, he didn't know what to expect. What if he ended up somewhere worse? The entire process was extremely stressful to him. It took him a long time before he finally got a word out, it took him at least 2 months. Christmas was the first day he spoke to her. It was only a small "thank you" when he received the present, followed by many tears. From that day, he learned that he was safe here, that he didn't have to be afraid in his own house anymore. He learned what a real family looked like. And so did his mother. They both cried that day, whether they were happy tears or not, wasn't certain but they were there for each other either way.

Sooyoung did more for him than everyone ever did. She loved him and he could feel it, for the very first time. She took him to therapy and made sure to help him in any way she could. Her boy deserved the world and she'd do anything to give it to him.