Chapter 1: "Downfall"

After five grueling years, the war against the Abyssals are on its final chapters, all the missions, all the nightmares, they will all finally end.

During the war there was a glaring lack of commanding officers with the capabilities to handle the job title of being a commander, especially with the newly introduced Kanmusume.

Kanmusumes are human embodiments of former ships that were either, sunk, scuttled or scrapped. But there are also some cases where museum ships or ships that were never even finished or built also got summoned, like America's Iowa for the former and the German Graf Zeppelin for the latter.

They were developed after through trial and error on studying the abyssal corpses that were recovered.

And through thorough analysis it shows that Abyssals are the byproduct of a sunken ship's malice, hatred, animosity, disappointment and grudges.

So how about the other traits such as courage or determination of the crews of the ships? These traits are what made up the Kanmusume.

Now with the knowledge of how abyssals came forth. Research and a few months of experimentations, R&D was successful. Bringing forth the first shipgirls into existence. And they were very effective in combating against the abyssals, then their service became widespread.

There were even some tests to allow humans to have the capabilities to use a shipgirl's weaponry, which are called Riggings.

However it was shut down quickly due to the high mortality rate and no success rate from any of those experiments.

During the course of the war there have been a few officers that became qualified to get promoted to become a commander to handle these Kanmusumes. One such officer is Nakazato Kei, despite being just 24 he was promoted to this position due to him taking initiative during the first abyssal attacks. Where he commandeered one of the patrol vessels that were ready to take to the seas, that ship was the JS Hayabusa.

Despite the ship being only armed with a single 76mm Otobreda, two .50 machine guns and a total of four Anti-ship missiles it still charged head on against the abyssals. And under the command of Nakazato, the crew never felt more alive to protect their homeland that they hold dear.

And they didn't just manage to hold back the attack, but they managed to completely force the abyssals into a retreat. Albeit at the cost of the Hayabusa since it ran aground as it returned to port. But due to these actions, tens of thousands of lives were spared that day and became one of the few reasons for his promotion.

After his promotion he was assigned a small naval base that grew over the time of the war.

And during his time as a commander he grew close to the Kanmusumes that were assigned under his command, he got especially close to the coastal defense ships, they were like younger sisters to him, daughters even.

And now that the war is nearing its end, he's even considering adopting some of the coastal defense ships as his own kids and he even took the time to even have consultations on adoption of two certain kanmusumes before he headed back to base.

At 0500 hrs he woke up early as always, he tended to his basic needs such as food and hygiene, before he gets dressed in his navy whites before setting off towards the officers buildings.

And that's where his day began to seem odd, normally when he greets others he usually gets a wave back at least, however this time he got glared at.

More things seemed off, some of the destroyer girls scurried away when they saw him, several people were whispering something and some were even flat out ignoring his very presence.