Chapter Thirteen

Lysander had never believed he would meet a boy he hated, but that was before he met Malachite. Still, first-year only had Potions with Nocturnis house once a week, so they didn't have to put up with Malachite much. Or at least, they didn't until they spotted a notice pinned up in the common room. Flying lessons would be starting on Friday — and Veridora and Nocturnis would be learning together.

'Perfect,' said Lysander darkly. 'Just what I always wanted. To make a fool of myself on a broomstick in front of Malachite.'

He had been looking forward to learning to fly more than anything else.

'You don't know that you'll make a fool of yourself,' said Lucus. 'Anyway, I know Malachite is always going on about how good he is at everything, but I bet that's all talk.'

Malachite certainly did talk about flying a lot. He complained about first years never getting on the Realm Relay teams.

Everyone talked about Realm Relay constantly. Lucus had a big argument with Stefan, who shared their dormitory, about football. Lucus couldn't see what was exciting about a game with one ball and a bunch of players who spent the whole time banging into each other like a bunch of apes.

Oliver had never been on a broomstick in his life, because his mother had never let him near one. Lysander felt she'd had good reason because Oliver managed to have several accidents.

Elara was almost as nervous about flying as Oliver was. This was something you couldn't learn from a book. At breakfast on Friday, she bored them all stupid with flying tips she'd gotten out of a library book. Oliver was hanging on to her every word, but everybody else was pleased when Elara's lecture was interrupted by the arrival of the mail.

Lysander hadn't had a single letter since Thaddeus's note, something that Malachite had been quick to notice. Malachite was always getting packages of sweets from home, which he opened gloatingly at the table.

Oliver received a small package from his mother. Upon opening the small package Oliver discovered an object that piqued the curiosity of everyone around. It was a compact, ancient-looking tome, no bigger than the palm of his hand. The cover was deep blue with silver glyphs. As Oliver flipped open the book, the pages began to flutter by themselves.

This book was a "Scholar's Enchiridion," a magical artifact designed to aid its bearer in their studies. Whenever Oliver thought of a question or a topic he needed to understand, the tome would present the most insightful information on the subject.

'Mom knows I have a hard time with studying this is supposed to help you.' Oliver explained.

Oliver was trying to go through the pages when Malachite, who was passing the table, snatched tome out of his hand.

Lysander and Lucus jumped to their feet. They were half hoping for a reason to fight Malachite, but Mrs. Dumpfry was there in a flash.

'What's going on?'

'Malachite stole my tome, Professor."

Scowling, Malachite dropped the tome back on the table.

'Just looking,' he said, and he walked away with Wren and Finch behind him.

At four that afternoon, Lysander, Lucus, and the other students hurried down the front steps onto the grounds for their first flying lesson.

The students from Nocturnis were already there, but Lysander didn't see a broom in sight.

Their instructor, Professor Swiftwing, made her entrance. Her hair was a short cascade of silver waves.

'Let's not dawdle, everyone,' she commanded. 'Gather around and prepare to summon your avian companions.'