1. A Tough Decision

Photo Made with Bing AI

August 6, 2008
7:27 PM

Dessert Ridge, Phoenix, Arizona

   Since Phil Dwyer was in the picture, Mom wanted us all to have dinner together in the dining room, and we would usually have it in the living room, watching trash TV or listening to the radio.

   I didn't like Phil much, but he made my mom happy. I only disliked him because he can be small-minded, which can rub off on my mom. It's a chameleon effect. Whoever she spends time with for more than a few hours tends to mirror their interests and beliefs.

   No matter how much my mom has changed, one thing hasn't changed. She loves and adores me, and I know it. She must have seen me playing around with the grilled corn on my plate. We had just gotten back from the church service. I don't mind the church and all, but it's hateful in spirit. At least the church Phil goes to.

   "You okay, sweetie?" Mom asked me to nudge my shoulder, and I forced a smile. I've been thinking hard about the engagement, like dinner the other week and the announcement when Phil was drafted to the Marlins.

   "You haven't touched your empanadas all dinner... Bells, you aren't getting food shyness again, are you?" Mom asked me, confused. I used to fear eating in front of people. Phil always had a look of disgust when it came to me.

   "No, Mama, I am okay," I mumbled. She was so happy, and I didn't want to change the mood. "I... have been thinking a lot about the move to Florida,"

   "Are you worried about what happened to Adelaide?" She asked. Adelaide was one of my best friends before she moved to Tampa. She is a lesbian and isn't shy at all about it. She had gotten a girlfriend and was holding her hand in public and got hate-crimed, scolding hot coffee was thrown into her and her girlfriend's faces.

   "I won't lie and say that doesn't scare me a little," I said, looking down.

   It's been two months since I turned 18. I had my name legally changed from Beaufort to Bella. Mom wasn't thrilled about it, but when she got time to think, she helped me pick out some dresses... though I'm not a dress type of girl.

   "I don't want to hurt your feelings..." I sighed, afraid as she could be quite emotional. She and Phil had been trying to get pregnant, so her hormones were all over the place.

   "What is it, Bea-Bells," she said, concerned. She was still trying to get used to the name change. It was easier to call me Bells because that has been my nickname since I was a baby. My middle name is Bellamy, and they used to put bells on me because I would tend to run off.

   "Well... I was thinking that you have had sole custody of me since I was 8... and that it might be nice if I went to stay with Charlie," I said, and she made a confused face, "He and I haven't gotten to see each other for a while, and he has been supportive with me coming out and all,"

   "Are you sure Bea- er... I mean, Bella, you hate Forks and the cold, wet atmosphere," she looked at me concerned, "Is this your Father's idea? I am going to have to call him,"