Chapter 4 - Willow

The great feeling that radiated through Willow, had quickly dissipated. The ten of them didn't arrive back at the estate until four, just as the sun was beating down on the fields. After a grueling day of work, they made their way to the estate. It was clear that rumors had been spreading as many others attempted to share a quick word with Willow or stared outright. It was Allie, with her tired bloodshot eyes that bumped into Willow saying lowly, "Do you have any idea what you have done?"

            Willow shook her head, picking at a new blister that had formed on her hand, "You've been reborn. That hasn't happened here since Calibon elves lived on these lands. That hasn't happened to a human since they had a parent for an elf. Willow, your half elf." Her voice impressed upon Willow, but Willow had no reference.

            Willow could recall stories told by the soulless as they worked. Stories of old heroes and news from across the land, but it was always from someone else who heard it from someone else in passing. Willow didn't take any of it for fact, and up until today, she, like many others, believed that magic was dead to anyone not in aristocracy. Willow was a soulless for as long as she could remember. Her life was servitude to the farms, or whoever the farms determined to sell her too. Making it past today without another debt was all she was focused on, ten-year labor, then some freedom at the end. Chance to travel, to see the world as it was, and not from the eyes of another. Willow hated that she hung on every one of Allie's words as she recalled stories of her life from the city. Hated anyone who wasn't soulless for long. That had memories of something else. Memories of a freedom. Allie said it didn't feel like freedom in her family. They still all worked, everyone in the family, her ten cousins, and five siblings worked. They squirreled away what they could for their brother's schooling who would become a Master of Medicine. Willow thought that was okay. At least they got to keep their earnings, and at least no one was beating them.

            "Allie, I don't think it matters much. All of that, and I'm still here. It's not like my last years are just given up. Boshin said it enough on the way back, You're here, girl, till they drag you away, and by gods I hope they do." Willow's mocking voice made Allie laugh. It still was a childish one that held some hope. It wasn't like Lupins and Willows that came with a bitter tone.

            "Willow, with so many witnesses, with the Tallmons, I can't imagine that you will be here longer than a few more hours."

             "How you figure?"

             "You're special, Willow. I mean, the temple will want you, they have been preaching for years of the return of elves and magic. A direct line to the gods."

              Willow snorted, "I can talk to god now?" The memory of the voice in her head made her shiver. It couldn't be a god.

              Allie was about to explain when Lupin snuck up from behind, "Well, would you mind asking the gods kindly to keep Boshin away from the kitchens. I can already smell the burning from here."

             "Nah, Lupin, I should ask that her hands turn to bricks so she can't whip us."

             "Well, that's dumb, then she will just hit us with her brick hands."

             "Will you two stop," Allie said harshly, "It's not a joke. Willow could really be a new prophet."

              The image conjured up images of long beards and wrinkled faces. Willow had seen some of the previous prophets and heroes of the Tallmons on the stained glass in the church.

              "Sorry, Allie, forgot you're a believer." Willow said.

              "I don't think she's a prophet, Allie."

              Allie stopped walking at this with her hands on her hips, "And just why is that."

              "Willow only has a bit of scruff on her face, I figured you needed at least a three-inch beard." Lupin gave a wide smile.

               Allie gasped, and Willow laughed.

               The estate was the term Parker and Sons denoted to all of their ranch and farm properties. While estate conjured images of fine craftsmanship and beautiful landscaping, the reality is far from the actual truth. The building was once white, but the paint was peeling off on the siding. Of glass windows, there were none. Air could  and did freely travel through the windows, often bringing in an uncomfortable chill at all times of the year and an especially deadly chill in winter. The land around was barren, lacking even a garden that the apartments in Trivale mustered for their inhabitants. Food was brought by carriage, which consisted of canned meals like Porters Beef Stew and Aunt Gillys Chiken Tika. During the holidays, they might get a shipment of canned bread to be used in a cake, but the caretakers often open those up between themselves and give the soulless another beef stew. Next to the estate was the broken up shed for their tools, the well for water, and the sick shack. The latter was a sad excuse for a building. Using old 2x4 boards from the estate, Boshin constructed the shack, completing it with a tarp for a door and a wood stove for winter. Her contempt for illness was almost as much as for the soulless. It ensured so much as a cough would end someone up in the shack.

             Willow and Lupin started collecting tools and organizing them in the shed. The two found it easier than just tossing them inside. Willow took shovels and picks from the younger workers who either gawked at her or gave her a quick bow of the head.

             "You could start your own religion at this point." Lupin said from behind. The humid shack making them both sweat. The smell of pesticides and moldy wood hung in the air. Lupin looked as if he was going to drop dead at any moment. His eyes were red like the rest of the group who was sent to the church. His sarcasm reached a high point on the walk back to the estate, and now too tired to fight his sincerity returned.

             "Don't know that I want that." Willow sorted a pickaxe and tossed Lupin a shovel.

             "I'm going to miss you, you know. Your whole, be different, be better than what they they did to you thing."

              Willow eyed him and went back to work, "I still have three years."

              "Bullshit, you saw the way that town looked at you, saw how the priests were almost ready to drag you from that cart. There's no way you're here longer than a week. I bet tomorrow you will hear that you're leaving. Likely ship you off to some monastery." Lupin was laughing until he looked up and saw the tears in Willow's eyes, "I didn't..."

              "I can't, Lupin. I can't be transferred again."

              "Not everywhere has a Boshin, or Tashi. You'll likely end up someplace good, you know."

              "They said that about here too, you know. Said that to every one of these kids before they get sold. You heard what Allie said her siblings told her. It's like a retreat. You get an education and a profession. These people lie Lupin. It's all their good at."

               Willow looked out to a pillar that stood off in the distance, the marking stone for the road. Willow had tried to run with Boshin. Took off down the road running as fast as her feet could carry her. She had made it some days before being caught by the company. Dogs and men on horses with black leather coats and hats roped her as she tried to cross the stream. She hit her face on a rock after falling. Boshin made her clean every night for a year after. She never dreamed of escape again, but now who would come for her?

Next Chapter Release on 3/7/24. As always be excellent.