Chapter 7 - Lupin

Lupins hands had long gone numb from the rope that tied him up against the fence. Archer and Allie were also corralled close by but were spared from being tied up. The entire estate had burned. The fire had carried onto the field and even threatened neighbor fields before being put out by a fire brigade from Trivale, summoned by the knocker upper.

Lupin awoke from his unconscious sleep by the licking of a one horned goat that Allie was calling Tally. Lupins head ached from where the goat head butted him when he awoke, or perhaps it was from Boshins right hook. Still a bit dazed Archer gave Lupin some water to drink as Allie held onto the goat by the bell it wore.

"I don't think he much likes the bell." Allie said.

Lupin pushed himself up against the fence trying to relive some of the strain in his hands when the goat kicked again.

"I don't think he much likes Lupin." Archer said pleased with himself, "What would you rather fight Lupin? The goat or Boshin?"

"Shut up Archer." Lupin said his throat dry.

The rest of the soulless were rebuilding the burnt down fence along the property line under the watchful eyes of the caretakers. The property line more important than the place where they would rest. If it were up to the company Lupin knew there wouldn't an estate, maybe just some tents. The three of them were being watched by a man in a black coat and felt brick hat. He was leaned over his saddle staring at them from afar, a whip and revolver by his side.

"Da think we are in trouble?" Ally asked petting the goat that now laid on her like a dog.

"Lupin is, don't know why we're here, but I'm not complaining about the lack of work. Hells as long as they don't tie me up, I think we are pretty lucky."

From the road a carriage turned and began making its way down to the burnt estate. The smoke still clogging the air. The coach was driven by four large brown horses. The carriage bore the name Parker and Sons in gold along the side. Lupin watched as several men emerged from inside noting the suits they wore, the large felt hats, and polished shoes. These were company men. These were the ones that made the decisions, write the company laws, and tracked their progress.

Lupin couldn't make out what was being said, but from Boshins animated body jesters he could tell she was recalling the events from the previous night. Several of the men were intimidated as they took several steps back during the retelling. One of the men, broke off from the group making his way first towards the man on the horse, speaking to him briefly. The rider came off his horse and the two made their way to Lupin and the others.

Lupin recalled a company man from years ago. He came to collect himself and Willow from the apple farm. They couldn't read well, so the man read aloud the contract of their bondage to them, and had them make their mark on the signature line. As if they had any say in their servitude. Their soul coin was debt from the farm to the estate as if they were apples not people. Lupin had seen it happen to other kids, watched as they cried, and begged not to go. No one at the farm really knew their home, but the caretakers there were nice, nicer than here. Better than Kibble one of the former caretakers said. You might see twenty now.

"This is him, won't say a word to me, but we know which way the girl went. Other two were from yesterday morning. Explained to us they were all accomplices."

"Accomplices?" Archer asked, "Accomplices to what?"

Ignoring Archer, the company man took off his own brick hat and kneeled down near Lupins feet. He had a graying mustache that covered his top lip, and a face marked with long lines. His head was balding, and patchy. "Cut im' down Mr. Allbosh."

The rider took out a long blade and cut the ropes that held Lupin to the fence. His arms fell to his side, the pain of the numbness radiated down them like millions of needles. He squeezed his hands as he regained some of his senses. Taking out a small metal box the man put between his gums a pinch of redweed and let out a stream of spit onto the ground.

"I'm Mr. Shelby, representative of P&S, but I'm guessing you're a bright boy and knew that." He spit again, "No need to shake my hand Mr. Lupin, I figure that it will take a bit for ya to get some feeling back in it. Lemme tell ya what I know, and I won't be tugging your coat on this. I'm a straight shooter. Your friend, the one who ran off, she's worth a shit ton more than you. Girl can summon fire god's sake, downright of the divine if you ask me. Seeing as you are the only one who might be able to give us a bit of a lead on her, you're in a good position to bargain."

"Piss off." Lupin said.

The rider pulled out his bull whip, a long-braided bit of braided leather that dropped to the ground. Shelby held out his hand for the rider to back off.

"Like I said, smart boy. Last time a company man said he was coming to make my life better, I should've had your guts and told em to piss off too. Look the way I see it; you can help us out. Get something out of it for you and your friends here before we find her all on our own, and we will find her. You can also die on this hill and I won't even have to make your life hard. That woman down there already has plans for you. If your worried about your friend, I wouldn't be. Plenty of other folks want her, she might end up at a nice Temple. She's important people now, unlike us. Either way she's too valuable to just be sweating a farm life, straight up to the top for her, likely to the dismay of many swellers."

Lupin bit his tongue, "You all talk this much? I've told him, I've told you, piss off."

"Lupin" it was Allies voice, "They are going to find her, no one has ever escaped."

"Yeah? No one's been found in a tree before either, no one could make fire like that."

Shelby spit another steam of red weed onto the ground. Archer spoke next, "Lupin, just talk. Rider already knows she went to the tree line, just spill."

"You're out on an island boy, give me something I can work with, and you can name your price."

Lupin looked past the man to Boshin, who was now yelling at the soulless on the fences. She slapped one of them for dropping the wood onto the ground.

"All of us free, everyone here, we get our debt off, and 20 solid each."

"That's a big price." Shelby said.

"I think it's fair." Lupin said.

"Tell me what ya know, places she might go, people she knows, everything, I'll consider it."

"No, I'll take a contract. In writing, and not a word until its signed."

"Smart boy." Shelby said, "I hate smart boys."