Chapter 5 - Justina

The moment that the cart carrying the girl left the city, Inquisitor Justina rode to Lispen. It was about thirty miles south of Trivale. She carried a signed message from the bishop, brothers' testimonies, and witness statements of the girl in the tree. Bishop Harry had called Justina from the McMillers farm where she was paying respect to a fellow missionary's family. He asked that she act as a witness to the magic bestowing the title and robes of inquisitor. Such a thing had not happened in Bricarth since the schism in 1308. The bishop with several others had to raid the temples library to find the rites. Justina had read the texts, studied at the churches University for women, and traveled East in the investigation of magic, and breaking of soul debts. Yet what she had witnessed today, changed everything.

            Lispen's sky was seen far before the first buildings. Large plumes of black smoke rose to form clouds that trailed for miles. Brick factories lined the river that split the city into two. The workers lived on the opposite side of the river in the apartments while the wealthier foremen, and owners were several miles outside in the suburbs. Their distance from the workers even more padded with tradesmen shops, temples, schools, and clubs. Steam river boats clogged the water carrying raw materials downstream, and completed good even further south. Fog horns could be heard far out.

            Justina trotted past taxis, trollies and walkers, who all gazed and wondered at the red rode's that adorned her. Such vibrant wool fabric was expensive, and a queer sight even for the larger city. Especially since the last time a rider wore such robes meant a decades long war and a new religion. Justina narrowly avoided a trolly as she coxed her horse past additional tracks where a train was being loaded. She reached Herman Paten Telegraph office just as the sun was beginning to set. She pulled out an official decree from the Bishop of Trivale making her way inside the office. A spider's web of cables jutted out from the top of the office in all directions, Justina's message would travel to the Council in Rulied.

            She swung the office door open. The air, like outside, was choked with smoke, but inside it was from the clerks who smoked long cigars. She approached the counter ignoring the looks of others whose heads turned in curiosity. The sounds of clicking began fading away as each person in the room turned to observe her. The principal came out from the back office steaming ready to chastise the lazy for slowing down on the messaging before catching sight of Justina at the front.

            "Back to work, keep those messages going, this isn't a charity."

             The man became less obtrusive as he made his way to the counter pushing the other clerk aside, "What can I do for you ma'am."

            Justina corrected him, "Its inquisitor, and I need a message sent to the archbishops office in Batavia, and the clerk of the Tallimon in Ruiled."

            The man began consulting a chart writing sums onto a ledger. Justina leaned over the counter, "I will also need a Tallmon to send it."

            The man looked up from the ledger slightly, "A Calloway no good for you?"

            "This message is of the upmost importance; I will not have its contents spread around like gossip."

            "Going to be gossip anyhow, what with you riding up like Yull the Destroyer in your red robes. Should have thought about discretion before arriving."

            Justina could have agreed with the principal, but this, this was a matter of importance, of resurgence. A chance to some actual good in the world, "Do you have a Tallmon or not?"

            Without looking up from the ledger the man called to the workers, "Any of you's a Tallmon?"

            After a few moments of silence, a man from the back called out, "Grandma's was an observer."

            Justina yelled back to the man, "Did she teach you of the five covenants?"

            The man shrugged, "Think so."

            "I will also require a private office to send this message." Justina said.

            The principal ripped a receipt off the ledger, "Just write your message, and we can direct it."

            "No good, I will be observing it."

            Before the principal could object more, Justina dropped fifteen solid onto the counter, and then another five she pushed to the principal. The man quickly pocketed the five and put the fifteen into the register, "This way inquisitor."

Next Chapter will release on 3/14/24. Be excellent!