Chapter 8

Willows head ached; it took a moment to register where she was. Then panic that she didn't know. She lurched up. A woman's old hands grabbed her and held her steady. The woman looked to be seventy at least. Her hair snow white, and face wrinkled. She began speaking to Willow in a language Willow didn't understand. Willow protested, asking where she was, but the woman only gave her bread that Willow took and began shoving into her face. The woman slapped Willows hands and motioning her to slow down. She passed a bowl that was steaming full of meats and noodles. Willow thanked the woman bowing her head some and then began slurping it as fast as she could. The woman put a hand to her head in exasperation, but Willow kept on. Willow didn't realize how hungry she actually was.

The soup was spicy and Willow choked on it from the unexpected taste. Hacking the woman took out a thermos pushing it into Willows hands encouraging her to drink. Catching her breath Willow took in more of her surroundings. She knew they were moving, felt it as the cart took them along, but the cart had a covering over the top of it. The white fabric glowed from the sun that must have been high in the air. Another wave of panic overtook Willow. They were looking for her. Then came the memory of the rest of the night, the fire, Lupin, the magic she conjured.

She fell back against the cart. She took a sip of the soup and bit off a small portion of the bread. The older woman smiling now at Willow. She held a hand to her chest and said, "Issla"

Willow repeated the word, "Issla" The old woman smiled and nodded and put a hand on Willows chest, Willow wasn't certain what the woman wanted. The woman put her hand back on her chest and repeated, "Issla" Then moved it to Willows chest, Willow said, "Willow." The old woman smiled and sat back against the wooden cart watching Willow satisfied with their conversation.

Willow kept eating, but again coughed at the spices in the soup. The strong flavor unnatural to her. Willow looked to the woman, "Issla," and then motioned for the water. The woman smiled and handed the thermos to Willow who drank deeply from it.

Willow could see the road from the back of the cart. It wasn't a stretch of road that she was used to, or recognized. That wasn't saying much, Willow had no way of really knowing how far they were from the estate. The thought was disheartening. Lupin had thrown himself on Boshin, bought her enough time to get away. Willow struggled with that, struggled at how she had set the estate on fire. It made her shiver thinking about what they must be doing to him, to the others. What would happen to them all? Willow sat the food down. She didn't deserve it didn't deserve anything not while they suffered. She could feel a lump in her throat. She shouldn't of ran, now they would take the punishment for her.

The old woman touched Willows leg, "Willow" She motioned for Willow to eat more. Willow held up her hands trying to dissuade the pressing of the woman. Issla slapped Willows hands, and continued to gesture for Willow to eat. Willow attempted a few more times not too, but the Issla now wielding a wooden spoon and spitting fire pushed Willow to keep eating. The old woman was muttering in her language what sounded like chastisement as Willow ate the food.

The cart pulled off the road and began making its way across a dirt path. The bumps became larger and the old woman took what was left of Willows soup tossing it out the back. She took the empty bowl lifting up a part of one of the shelves inside the cart, and stuck the bowl inside. Willow bounced in the back the cart that launched her up at times to only fall back down with a thud on the hard wood. Issla tapped Willow pointing to how she was sitting. Willow mimicked the woman and the bouncing became less even over the larger bumps. The terrain smoothed out some, and the grasslands turned into forest similar to what Willow had run and hid in. They traveled for a few more miles, Willows only reference came from the back of the cart. All the while they traveled her emotions came in waves of relief, and guilt. During one fit Issla rested a hand on Willows shin singing a song. It reminded Willow of the song she would sing to the newly arrived soulless to calm them down. Did she appear so broken?