Chapter 9: Lunch Time

Here is chapter 9 of my story. Enjoy:)

Please make sure you vote and comment your thoughts.

*********************************************************************

Asad

It's Monday morning and it is Ayat's first day in the office as my PA. She is still playing the role of not knowing me to the best of her abilities. When she entered my cabin, I could see that she was nervous, but there were no signs of her acknowledgment of me. I guess this is working in my favour as I do not wish to disclose my relationship with her to the public eye.

I assigned her with a task of summarising a pile of files before lunch time. I know it was a difficult job due to the number of files, but it clearly wasn't impossible as she completed it. I checked the email she had sent with the summaries, and I must say she did a good job and has an eye for detail. I clicked on the bin icon for the email as her work was useless. They were all outdated files that had no use.

When she came to the cabin, the truth was I was still shocked at her presence and her ignorance towards me and couldn't think of words to say. I saw the pile of files that were supposed to taken to the archive room and decided to make her summarise them.

I was surprised when she came 15 minutes before her lunch time as I thought it would eat up at least half an hour of her lunch time.

After checking a few emails and reviewing documents, I decided to leave for my lunch in the canteen. As I walked out of my cabin, the employees stood up to greet me and I acknowledged them with a nod.

Once I got to the canteen, I go to the noodle bar to get my usual lunch. As I was walking back to my cabin with my lunch, my steps halted at the sight before me. Ayat was sitting at the table, hand in hand, with the HR manager whilst giggling at whatever he was saying.

Witnessing this sight did not bring me any pleasure at all. I know that I am the one who told her not to expect a relationship from me, but how could she disregard me like this in my own territory. I was no longer in the mood to enjoy my usual lunch and went back to my cabin empty handed.

I tried to focus on the screen in front of me, but all I can think about is her giggles. It was driving me insane until a knock on the door brought me out of my thoughts.

"Come in" I let out dryly.

"Good afternoon, Sir, my lunch break has just finished, what would you like me to do this afternoon?" Ayat entered with her chirpy voice.

I look at her up and down and there is no change in her demeanour whatsoever. Her ignorance is really starting to get on my nerves and there is no regret of her actions reflecting on her face. Returning to my professional conduct I respond to her.

"Miss Ayat, I had told you that there should be no mistakes in the summaries, yet there were" I said in a stern voice.

"Sir, but I had checked multiple times, there wasn't any mistakes" she tried to clarify. Indeed, there were not any mistakes, but I feel personal irritation towards her which causes me to leave my professional judgments and mannerisms.

"Are you saying that I have nothing better to do than make up lies about your incompetence" I said slightly raising my voice.

"No Sir, I am sorry, I will take extra care next time" she accepted her defeat and her voice stifled.

"Since this is your first mistake, I will let it slide this one-time" I said easing the situation. "Here" I said passing a file to her from the desk, "contact the people and try and set up a meeting as soon as possible. I will send you a copy of my schedule for this week. Try set up the meetings in the gaps I have in my schedule. From next week onwards, you will be the one responsible to set out my schedule and meetings. Is that clear?".

"Yes Sir" she replied meekly looking down.

"Do you have any questions?" I asked her.

"No sir"

"Then why are you still standing here wasting my time" I snapped with annoyance seeing her head bowed down.

She then hurried out my cabin. I know my behaviour wasn't entirely professional, but seeing her laugh so freely with another man whilst not acknowledging my presence really bothered me more than it should have. I should not have raised my voice at her, I think that caused her eyes to tear up and that's why she was looking down. She was not wrong, she hadn't made a mistake, I berated her because I was annoyed.

I let go of my professionalism because of her, I shouldn't let her affect me like this. Hopefully, this is the last display of this sort of behaviour.

*********************************************************************

So that was Chapter 9

What do you think of Haider's behaviour?

Why is he so unjust towards Ayat?

Please make sure you vote and comment your thoughts.