Chapter 4: Welcome to the Team

Chapter's song: Playing Dangerous 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't help but feel a bead of sweat run down my neck. How can someone be so intimidating while also not doing anything? He's just staring at me like some piece of prey, at this point, I'm not sure if he's even listening!

That's when he asked the oddest question for an interview.

"Are you good with children perhaps?" I hear him say, his eyes locked to mine and his hands put together. He raises a brow, almost as if he's deeply interested to know the answer.

Now this... is getting awkward is it not?

"Uhm, I am pretty good with children, when I was a teen, I had many babysitting jobs," I began but before he could ask me another question, I interrupted him. Some unnoticeable revenge for him not listening to me before which was clear.

"When I did work experience, I also did it at a school, so I have way more experience than most." I couldn't help but grin confidently as I spoke every sentence.

"Oh? Well, that is good. I have a younger sister you see... she comes over to the company building on Tuesdays which is why I would need someone to take care of her." I raised a brow, for some reason, he was speaking in such an odd way as if it was impressive that he had a younger sibling.

"If you can't babysit as well as be my private assistant then you're useless. But after hearing about your past experiences, I'm sure you're more than qualified." He says calmly, his brown eyes burning lasers into me as I clear my throat and nod.

"Of course sir," As I speak the sight of the sun shines through the large window beside us, causing a sort of glow which brings up the young man's coffee-coloured eyes. I found it strangely attractive before shoving the thought out of my brain.

I watch as his large hands reach down, gently pulling out a piece of paper and a pen, the paper being a clear contract with an already written signature.

His glasses drop down to his nose as his eyes narrow and stare at me from over them. "I'm guessing you already know about my dangerous business? My men only bring those who have been in this type of business before." He said, clearly interested in my past which made my nose scrunch up in disgust. I gave him a short nod in reply as I read through the contract's terms and services.

A big thing many don't think to do is not read through something. It could be the death of you.

"So, where'd you work for them." He finally said, his confident and professional tone from before dropping to a recognisable nervous one.

"I'd rather not say, they kinda backstabbed me." I lied through my teeth, noticing as he gave a small nod of understanding. How gullible.

"How old is the kid?" I ask blankly, I don't care for the answer but if he thinks I do then he may trust me more with those secrets he hides so deeply in those brown orbs...

"6, she's a curious girl." He said with a soft chuckle which broke down and softened my expression.

I have just read through the contract terms and services. Nothing seemed sketchy which is odd as most will have at least one con for a person of my job.

"Cute age," I mumble as I quickly sign my signature.

There was a pause before the man looked at me with a smile and held his hand out for a handshake.

I return the shake cautiously.

"Welcome to the team." He says with a grin. 

Little does he know, this is just the start. The start of his eventual downfall.