Part 11 - THAT NIGHT

That night

That nod was all she needed to follow Kalen back to sit down. She didn't dare take off her hood or cloak. She checked the cups to see if there was water inside any of them.

"Your master? Does he treat you well?" Kalen asked, the question making her turn to him. He was now seated with his back towards the others and giving her his full attention.

She nodded at his question, "Yes."

"I'm glad," Kalen said softly. She then noticed how he was studying her face intently from under her hood, "What?"

"You still look like a girl and now more so like a woman," Kalen admitted.

"I've had too," Dev told him solemnly.

"Ranger Holloway, more drinks?" One of the soldiers asked as he handed over a large pitcher full of purple wine. Kalen took it with a nod and poured himself a cup before hesitating when it came to Dev's cup. He remembered that Zelowalli didn't drink alcohol like them.
Instead, he scanned the table for a pitcher of water that a barmaids had brough to their table beforehand.

"Ranger Holloway? "Dev asked.

Kalen nodded as he gave up on finding the water pitcher and instead focused on the younger man before him, "That is my title now."

"From Prison Guard to Ranger. Fate smiled on you," Dev surmised.

"And you?"

"We shall see."

"Ladies!" Someone shouted from behind them.

A group of young women were coming downstairs and dressed in scraps of fabric again. Some of the men and soldiers cheered and called a few of them over to their tables.

Dev's eyes widened and she stood in a hurry. Before she could get away, more girls surrounded them. One even attached themselves to Kalen and he grinned at the red head. Kalen turned to Dev to see her backing away from them, "Where are you going?"

Dev frowned at him," Are you still promised to that girl?"

Kalen shook his head," No. She's moved onto someone else."

"And yet you wish to sully yourself with the likes of these women?" Dev asked and flinched when one of the women pulled her hood back with a grin.

"Oh, a native, never been with one before, "The woman simpered.

Dev shook her hood," Apologies, I am not interested. Enjoy the other men. Look, that one," She pointed at Levi, "He might want your company."

She then pushed the girl towards Levi who took to her like bees to pollen.

Grimacing, she turned back to Kalen and looked away as the red head was kissing his throat while he looked like he was enjoying it. Seeing his look, Kalen smirked at him, "Why don't you bed one? Maybe it will make you less scared."

"I have values. One of which states staying pure until I wish to mate with someone," Dev said before she turned away from them and left without a backward glance. Once she was outside, she took a deep breath and rubbed her face before she moved to the stables where her horse was waiting for her.