PART 12 - THE TROUBLE WITH ULSA

The trouble with Ulsa

Their journey started early the next morning and she was very amused to see some of the solider sniffling yawns and rubbing their eyes. They were all tired. Including Hunter and Kalen. She wasn't sure why Hunter was tired but she knew why Kalen was.

The Ranger had stayed up with her. He just spoke about the different tides of the seas or what new sea creatures were now rumored to be out in the Blue. He mentioned the name Laharika. A Goddess of the Blue.

Dev didn't know anything about Laharika but she didn't feel the need to ask. It wasn't concerning her land so it was not important to her. She listened to his tales until she fell asleep. When she woke up, she discovered him still sleeping inside the stall with her.

He had spent the night leaning against the wall while she slept on the hay. That would not be comfortable. She had shaken him to wake him before they dawn set in.

She had promised Hunter that she would be outside waiting and she wanted to keep her promise. Kalen was forced to go outside and use a bucket to wash up. When he was gone, Dev ate her Makena and swallowed.

She was pushing it by taking it weekly but it was working. She just needed to keep taking it until this little quest was over.

When Hunter met her outside, she had saddled both their horses and had a wrapped piece of meat along with some nuts for him to eat. He took the food with a nod but Dev frowned when she saw him.

Even now as they were riding, she could see that he looked a little ill and was trying to stay up right. She urged her horse to ride up beside him and leaned over," Hunter? Are you ill? What did you drink last night?"

He looked up and Dev grew worried. His eyes were darting and he was blinking erratically. He was also pale and sweat was coating his brow. He looked a lot worse than when they set off from the hostel.

"Hunter?"

"Forgive me."

Dev blinked and frowned, "What do you mean?'

"You've done well but I have failed you."

Dev grew confused and turn to look around. Where we they going? What was the captain's-

Her eyes grew wider. This track. The trees up in front of them. The direction they were going. Dev shook her head slowly, "No...no, you would not do this..."

She turned back to Hunter, feeling betrayal," How could – "

"Look out!"

A bright light lit the place up and the horses went crazy. There were shouts and Dev fell off her horse onto the ground. The impact knocked the wind out of her. Blinking harshly against the spots, she felt someone grab her hand and she screamed. The horses must have run as she heard the sounds of their hooves thundering off amid shouts.

"Dev, run!"

It was Hunter. She turned in the direction of his voice and struggled to her feet. Her sight was working but she could hear shouting and the sound of metal. Weapons. The Rangers were using their abilities.

She was then yanked in a direction she didn't know but a hand. She tried to struggle but Hunter voice cut through her daze," Keep running Dev! We must reach the pool!"

Dev's mind was racing and she blinded followed.

"The barrier has fallen! Retrieve the index!" A man from behind her yelled.

"Get to the index, men!" The captain yelled as well.

Index?

Her mind raced.