(Rewrite) Chapter 14: Blackout Fight

The lights begin to flicker even more, then fully shut off, leaving me in total darkness. It takes a moment for my eyes to adjust, but things start to get brighter. It seems as if everything was more bright than last blackout.

Flora jumps back, along with the slimepup, as the lights shut off. Suddenly, an announcement plays on the intercom.

"Attention all Laminax personnel. The main power grid and emergency power grid are offline. The facility has lost all power, meaning subject doors have opened. Please make your way to the cafeteria, as the emergency bay is locked down."

And it shuts off with a click. The voice over the intercom seemed worried, like you could hear them sweating.

"Human! We have to get out of here! Everyone will come flooding out of those doors soon!" Flora exclaims. The slimepup behind her jumps on her back and holds tight on her. "I need to go to the cafeteria..I'm not safe here! I'll get mauled to death!" I exclaim. "Then let's go already!" Flora exclaims.

I suddenly hear gunshots and lots of screaming coming from the subject cells area. I book it out of there with Flora, running down the hallways to the hounds area, when I see a hebi fighting a random guard. The guard struggles to keep the Hebi back, until I grab the hebi by the waist, and slam them on the ground. I reach my hand out to the guard, to which he takes it, as I pull him up.

I glance at Flora, as she has a look of worry on her face. "Get to the cafeteria. I'm staying behind." I say. "What? You have to follow protocol!" The guard says. "I don't give a flying fuck about protocol, get your ass to the cafeteria right now." I reply. "Okay! Jesus!" The guard says, running over to the cafeteria.

I look down the massive hallway to the shork pool, seeing a horde of gootraxians. "They're not after you, Jake. They're after the other staff..the human ones." Flora says, reassuring me. "Like I'll ever believe that.." I say. I reach for the automatic door into the cafeteria, only realizing the burning pain in my right arm. I grasp it in pain, falling to my knees. "Jake?" Flora asks. I only give a grunt of pain in reply.

Flora looks down the hallway at the horde of gootraxians, then to me. She suddenly looks to an automatic door, to which I hear a familiar voice speak behind it. "Flora! Oh my god, I thought I lost you.." Shade says. "Jake is hurting really bad! Can you get him somewhere where that massive horde of other subjects won't trample him?" Flora asks. Right after that, I am picked up by Shade.

"The uh..the abyss place! That might be a good spot!" Shade exclaims. I still grasp onto my right arm, grunting in pain. It feels like my whole arm is on fire. I am suddenly set down against a wall, as I realize I am in the pillar cavern. I grasp my arm, more firmly this time. Shade kneels down next to me, as Flora watches in anxiety. "Hey- Listen man. Everything is going to be alright." Shade says, trying to reassure me.

I try taking out my syringe with my gloved paw, but it's no use. The gloved paw is way bigger than my normal human hand. The burning sensation on my right arm only grows, as I see a tuft of fur and goo quickly spreading across. I can't help but just scream. So I did. I let out the most gut wrenching, blood stopping, glass breaking scream ever. Shade is recoiled back from the sudden outburst. I then stop screaming, going back to grunting in pain. My breathing becomes more heavy by the second, it feels like my whole arm is being swallowed by flames.

Then, it stops. I look down at my right hand, only to find it is now a manic paw, with small red crystals coming out of it. I put my paws against my forehead, it feels like I'm going to cry. "..god...why..me.." I manage to make out. Flora wraps her paws around me, lifting me up, and hugs me. I'm not sure what to think of this, or what to think of anything right now. "Every subject goes through the same exact thing you're going through right now..." Flora says in my ear, in a soothing manner. "But- Everything is just so much slower, and that ramps up the pain like hell!" I exclaim.