prologue

The 1st of September 1963 was a beautiful day, as beautiful as the days usually were during that time of the year. The sun was still shining bright and despite the nearing autumn, the temperature was high in an almost unbearable way. The astounding weather made every student even more miserable at the thought of the start of the school year; in their hearts, the summer was still at its peak and that made them dread this new beginning more than anything.

Usually, Gisele would laugh at her brother's hungover face, watching as he would frantically look for his clothes. She would still be wearing her night dress, maybe preparing breakfast and wondering what her newest tutor was going to teach her this year. She would feel lucky for not having to come out of the house in the state similar to Jean, but envious at the same time - envious that he did get to come out, and she had to stay in that beautiful, beautiful house; a golden cage, she would often think with a bitter smile.

He got to fly away and all that was left for her was waiting until he's back, back with the stories of the world that could be hers but wasn't.

But this year was different; this year was different, because this time she wasn't only allowed to watch, but also to take an active part in one of those beautiful, beautiful stories.

With the start of the school year, it was announced that boys and girls were allowed to attend the same schools. And as the nearest high school, Voltaire High, decided to try it out, Gisele was able to change her life. She was still following her father's words, words that said she was only allowed to attend school under the watchful eye of her brother. Those were words that her parents probably never thought to come true, but they did, and Gisele was not going to miss the chance that was given to her by the universe.

Gisele was finishing her cigarette, standing by the door and once again watching with amusement as Jean was trying to find his other sock. She was ready, has been for a long time, because she couldn't sleep out of excitement. By 7 o'clock, she had her white shirt, dark tights and long chequered skirt on. Her black, wide heel shoes were waiting for her right at the entrance, along with her burgundy jean jacket. She was thrilled for the day and her brother's tardiness was slowly making her annoyed.

"Jean, could you please hurry up? We're going to be late." said Gisele, putting her finished cigarette into the ashtray.

"Shut up, we are not." he murmured, finally turning to put on his shoes. Gisele followed him.

When they came out of the house, arm by arm, Gisele felt as if she was taking her first steps into the path of freedom.

"I have no idea what you are so excited for, Gigi. That school is atrocious." said Jean, pulling out his cigarettes. He took one out and then gave another to his sister, which she gladly accepted.

"If you were locked into that goddamn house for sixteen years, you also would be happy to get out, Jean." she replied, huffing out the smoke.

"But you had lots of chances to get out. With me, don't you remember already?"

"Yes, but it was always with you and friends that I got to know thanks to you, to places that you found, that you showed me. I want to explore the world on my own, I want to get to know other girls and... I just want to see what it's like to live by myself."

Jean stayed silent. He took a drag out of his cigarette, looking through the faces of people passing them.

"Alright, I get it. Don't be a stranger, though. At school, I mean. I don't want to lie when people ask why our surnames are the same. And why we're so alike."

Gisele smiled at his words.

"I don't know, brother, Dupin is a pretty common surname. And many french kids are similar to one another." seeing the look Jean gave her, she couldn't help but laugh.