chapter 6 ; places, places, get in your places

"It's today."

Gisele was sitting next to Annick in the cafeteria, playing with her mashed potatoes mixed with some strange sauce. It was Friday, so most of the students were excitedly talking about their plans for the weekend and the whole area was filled with elated laughter.

Annick looked at her, unsure about what she was referring to.

"My parents are coming back," explained Gisele with a sigh.

"Is that not a good thing?" asked Sabiani.

The other girl responded by shaking her head.

"No," she said. "They're not good people."

Annick hummed in understanding.

"I'm here for you," she replied, caressing Gisele's arm comfortingly. "Remember about that."

Gisele sent her a small, thankful smile.

"I will," she promised. "Wanna go for a cigarette?"

Annick let out an exasperated sigh, but it was obvious she wasn't annoyed at all. She looked at Gisele, a new, playful sparkle in her eyes, then nodded.

Gisele pushed away her plate, quickly gathering her things to get out of the cafeteria and hurrying Annick. She could feel her brother's gaze following the two of them on their way out, but she concluded that if he wished to join them, he would.

He was probably just worried that Gisele was going to get into another fight.

But she wasn't. Despite it being the day of their parents arrival, she felt much better than she did after her and Jean got the letter. Back then, she was a bundle of nerves; nerves that were a result of her newfound confusions and of the news she and Jean got.

Gisele made peace with that, after some time. She's realised that their parents' comeback was unavoidable and as to the other thing... Well, she was quite impartial, to be honest.

At first she was quite afraid that Joseph was going to be mad about the little skit she played in front of Yves and the others. But then she realised that if he didn't like it, he would have said so; he wasn't the kind of guy who would get into such a messy situation if he didn't feel like it. Not to mention that Joseph also took an active part in the act; he did, after all, kiss her.

It was a peck, reminded Gisele herself for what felt like the hundredth time. A platonic one. Not a kiss.

"Annick," started Gisele, huffing out smoke, "Have you ever fancied someone?"

Sabiani evidently didn't expect that question, seeing as she started to choke. Gisele patted her on her back, then looked at the other girl, waiting for an answer.

"Well... No, not really," mumbled Sabiani. "Boys don't really interest me at the moment, to be honest. They're loud, obnoxious and usually stupid. Why? Have you?"

Gisele sighed.

"No, I don't think so," she replied, taking another drag of her cigarette. "But I was wondering what it feels like. Sometimes I'm convinced that everyone is in love and I'm the only one who's falling behind, you know?"

"Well... If you're falling behind, then so am I. We're in this together," said Annick. "But have you been thinking about someone in particular? It couldn't come out of nowhere."

"Why would it be about anyone? I just went through some thinking. I do that sometimes."

Annick looked around then leaned closer to Gisele, careful not to be heard by anyone else.

"It's Descamps, isn't it?"

Gisele jumped back, surprised, almost dropping her cigarette on the ground in the process.