chapter 7 ; it's safe and calm if you sing along

"You look like a literal ray of sunshine, Gigi," whispered Charles jokingly when they sat down at the table.

The seats were obviously assigned, as any kind of misunderstanding would be met with a backlash so grave, that the Pichons might be never allowed to hold The Banquet again. It would be so awful, after all, if one person sat next to the other who would be just a little too important for their likes; nothing like this could happen.

Gisele was pretty satisfied with her seat, seeing as at their table there was the Vergoux family and some other, unknown one. She knew that despite the general atrocity they have been placed in, she was going to enjoy the time spent with her friend. All they had to do was to find Joseph, and the four of them would be alright for the rest of the night.

"Don't even remind me," responded Gisele, scrunching her face with disgust "If I ever put something like that dress on willingly, you better send me to the shrink. Because I surely would not be well."

Charles chuckled at her words and was just about to reply, when he looked at the other end of the table. His face fell instantly and in his eyes, Gisele could see a glimpse of nervousness.

Gisele followed his line of sight, then felt dread creeping up her spine when she realised who was a part of the family sitting with them.

The guy. The guy that Gisele started a fight with and the guy who her brother apparently won a fight with, seeing as the other teenager was spotting a huge bruise on his cheek and Jean came out with no harm.

"I had no idea he was a Lavigne," she mumbled, avoiding the guy's eyes. She could feel him staring at her, glaring deep into her soul and she did not like that in the slightest.

"We're in big fucking trouble, aren't we," murmured Jean in response, stating rather than asking, as he let out a deep sigh.

"Maybe we could take the blame for you," offered Charles, trying to quickly think of any solution. "I also got detention. You could say that I was the one to start the fight and you didn't take any part, that you were there by accident. We could-"

"Thank you Charles, but it won't help at all," said Gisele, mentally already preparing herself for the punishment.

"Yeah, an allegation alone is enough to set them off. You're a real one for trying, though. Thanks, Vergoux."

"It's just a matter of time, isn't it?" sighed Gisele, choosing to focus on her food. Although the dish looked delicious just moments ago, now she had no appetite; she almost felt like throwing up.

They've managed to go through the appetiser and the main course and were just about to get their dessert, when Lavigne decided to speak up.

"Have you seen the gift I got from your dear children, Mr Dupin?" he asked, an annoying smirk on his face, as he pointed at the bruise. "I'm sure they were proud to admit what they did."

Gisele watched as Jean sighed tiredly, then put aside his little spoon and pushed away the plate with the cake. He frowned.

"Couldn't even let us have our sweet treat, that asshole," mumbled her brother.

Benoit Dupin looked first at Lavigne, then at the twins, and at the other guy again.

"What do you mean, boy?"

Lavigne feigned surprise.

"Oh, they didn't say anything?" his voice was dripping with false innocence "I thought our little Gisele would show off her inappropriate behaviour, just as our dear Jean would flaunt his strength. It doesn't matter that it was four versus one, after all, does it?"