chapter 1 ; all i ever wanted was the world

The life of Gisele's dreams was not going to be as easy as she previously thought.

The awakening came at the first lesson and held the form of Mrs Giraud. Before the teacher entered the classroom though, all students came in, chatting and laughing about what Dupin supposed were usual things they chatted and laughed about. Gisele herself was talking to Simone and Michele about the newest film in the cinema, when she felt a tug on her sleeve.

She turned to the person who obviously wanted her attention only to see her own brother. Jean was looking at her with a strange expression.

"Are you sitting with us?" he asked, leading Gisele towards the back of the classroom. She didn't object, seeing as she was already planning to sit in that area.

"No, I'm not. I wanna get to know Annick, but I haven't seen her yet. I would kill for a cigarette though." Gisele smiled with a twinge of awkwardness.

Jean let out a slight laugh.

"Sorry, Gigi, but you won't get a break anytime you'd like here. Better get used to that. Are you sure about that girl? Vergoux could sit with you."

"Yes, I am. I won't be able to concentrate if the three of you keep bugging me, so that's a definite no." With those words, Gisele sat down in the middle row, in a seat that she deemed perfect. On her right, there was Michele and Simone; on her left, Jean and Joseph.

"Your choice." her brother shrugged, then wandered off to some other guys.

Just as she started taking out her things, Gisele saw the fourth girl entering the classroom. She was certain that Annick would sit next to her, just as Dupin herself would do, but she got pretty surprised when the girl sat in the front. Gisele surely did not expect that; she was going to stand up and greet Annick anyway, but she was stopped by the presence of Mrs Giraud.

Pichon, the friendly guy from earlier, was evidently set in an awkward position. The only places left were those next to Gisele and next to Annick; one in the front and one in the back. After a careful consideration and a look shared with her brother, Gisele saw him walk slowly toward the other girl.

"I am Mrs Giraud and I am going to guide all of you through this school year." The teacher looked slowly around the classroom, just like a hawk trying to find its next victim. And find it, she certainly did.

"What is your name, Miss?" she asked Annick, looking at her from above her glasses.

The blonde girl, visibly confused, stood up and straightened her clothes.

"My name is Annick Sabiani." she replied, her voice steady and void of any insecurity.

"And what do you think you are doing, Miss Sabiani? Sitting next to a boy?" Her voice was sharp and definite; Mrs Giraud was not going to let anyone argue with her.

Gisele didn't get it though. Why was it a problem for a boy and a girl to sit together? All of them were equal; there was no difference if they were sitting together or with a person of the same gender. Maybe Gisele was a little biassed, seeing as she grew up surrounded by boys, but she had no idea why Mrs Giraud made such a big problem out of it.

"Pick up your things and change your seat."

Through the heads of other students, Gisele could see Annick starting to gather her belongings, when the teacher spoke again.

"No, not you. You, Pichon, to the back row." her voice was stern, and it made the boy even more nervous than he already was.

"But I won't be able to see anything from the back." he tried to argue, but Gisele knew the particular tone of the voice of that woman - it was the only one she's ever heard from her own mother, after all.