1

April 10th, 1912
7:00 am

"Mother, don't make the poor man carry all of your stuff, surely you can carry at least one bag." I say, stepping out of the car with the help of a kind sir. I scurried over to my mother as she looked down at me with a sharp glare.

"I do not like your smart mouth, Sophia. I suggest you speak nothing more before I decide to leave you here."

Yeah. She wouldn't do that. Not when we're on our way to America so I can get married to a- excuse my language- greedy, rich bitch who's twice my age. She wouldn't dare leave me here, not when she's relying on me to marry him so we can get our inheritance back. When you're rich and in first class, money matters more than anything.

Reason one that I was going to jump tonight.

Cal stepped up beside me, grabbing my hand tightly. He looked at me with a smile, that could have fooled most that he loved me. But his love was fake. He was marrying me because of my beauty, my money (that he thought we still had) and for his stupid reputation. His reputation was all that mattered to him. Marrying me would be a great way to boast about himself. So I was stuck with a fiance who I had no love for, and hardly had love for me.

Reason two.

This trip would be full of parties I didn't want to attend. Dinners that only consisted of fake laughs to stupid stories about how people became rich. Corsets upon corsets, upon corsets.

Reason. Three.

I take two bags from the man carrying my mother's luggage, and help him balance the stack better. After making sure my mother doesn't see, of course.

As we make our way to the ramp, a boy runs past with his friend, and they look very happy about something. They knock a bag out of my hands as they run past, and the one boy quickly turns to help.

"So sorry, Miss." The boy says, leaning down and picking up the bag. He hands it to me, and our hands touch briefly before I pull my hand away.

He's quite obviously a third class. My mom would be furious if she saw me speak to anyone like him.

"It's alright, don't worry about it." I say.

"Board safely, ma'am!" he says, before running off to catch up with his friend. As he runs, he gives me one more glance before smiling and looking back at where he's going once more.

If only I could be as happy as he seemed.

🚢🚢🚢

The suite is almost too big. Sure, I'm used to the fancy suites and over-the-top everything, but I wish I could have a break and live like everyone else. It makes me feel guilty that I get all of this, and there are people getting on this ship who will be sharing cabins with strangers, hardly big enough to walk.

"Sophia, Dear. I suggest you get cleaned up before lunch this afternoon. Some of the richest people on this ship will be joining us."

I turn my back to head to my bags and roll my eyes when I'm sure my mother can't see.

I change into my light pink dress with a square neckline. There are roses along the neckline. I've always loved roses. Rose was a beautiful name. Maybe I could convince Cal to let me name a daughter Rose. Then again, what are the chances he'd let me decide. I feel bad for our future children, I'm not so sure Cal will be a good father.

My corset squeezes me which makes it hard to breathe. I decide I'm in enough pain as it is, and I put on my flats rather than my heels. I pull my hair into a bun, even though my head hasn't fully healed from last time I had my hair up for too long.

Just a few hours, and the pain will be over.

We get to lunch, and there are far too many fancy people with bad humor. I sit quietly most of the meal, hardly eating anything. I'm completely zoned out, only thinking about jumping.

"Right, Sophia?" Cal says next to me with a huge boastful smile. "Sophia, are you listening?"

"Yes. Yes, of course." I lie. He shoots me a very quick glare before anyone else can see.

"We are very excited for the wedding, it's going to be the biggest event any of you have ever seen. Of course, all of you will be invited." He grins. I just sigh, and try to eat something.

The minutes tick by slowly. The hours hardly go by. I wait until the sun goes down, and I sit with my mother and Cal at dinner.

"May I be excused to the ladies room?" I ask, placing the napkin that was on my lap onto the table. My mother nods, and I walk out of the first class dining hall, and once I'm out of sight, I run.

I run clear to the back of the ship, looking out at the ocean. I feel slightly seasick seeing the propellers turn so fast.

The pain will be over soon.

I climb over the railings, continuing to hold onto them as I face the water. I face my death. I've never felt more welcomed. I take a deep breath.

"Don't do it." A voice says behind me. I turn my head.

"You??"