7

Caledon wasn't happy with me. Heck, he was so mad, he wanted Jack dead. And honestly, probably wanted me dead after he got to sleep with me once more. Not out of love, but out of lust. I was aware of his hatred, Jack was aware, and Molly Brown was aware.

But I didn't regret throwing the ring off the boat. I wasn't gonna let him manipulate me anymore. Money is fine, money can provide comfort, but that comfort means nothing if it's not with someone who can compliment the comfort. Caledon could make comfort a torture chamber.

"Good morning!" I called to Jack, as I ran cross the deck to him.

"I couldn't sleep last night. It was like I was in a daze, I couldn't stop drawing you from memory." He said, smiling. It was clear he hadn't slept well. He handed me eight drawings, all of me in different positions and with different expressions.

"Wow, you really are crazy for me."

"You know it." He smirked. "I'm running out of date ideas to take you on, there's not much to do while stranded in the middle of the ocean. Sure this ship is magnificent, but there's not a lot of things both a third class and first class passenger can do together."

"I like our walks along the deck. I don't think I mind if we continue that again."

He seemed relieved. Sometimes it was almost like he felt like I needed everything or I'd get bored. Like I expected a lot. But really, all I wanted was his smile, my hand in his, and his voice. He could always give me more, but those things were all I needed to be madly in love with him.

Caledon would never make a good father. But Jack certainly would. I could see him out playing with the kids. Teaching them that you don't always get everything you want, but the things you do get make it all worth it. I could see him tucking them in at night. Hugging them when they cry. Teasing them once they got a little older. Really, he'd show so much love for them. Just like he did for me. And Caledon would never do that. I couldn't imagine the mental and emotional maybe even physical pains that children would have to go through if Caledon was their father. Abuse to adults or people like me is one thing. Abuse to children is another.

The plan was to live together once Jack and I got off the ship. That's basically all we talked about all day as we walked in circles around the deck. People gave us looks, it was obvious that I was a first class lady and he was a third class boy. But I didn't care how people looked at us.

He told me over and over again how he didn't have enough to give. We wouldn't be able to afford a big nice house like I grew up being used to. Our kids wouldn't have the life I grew up having. But in some ways, that made me relieved. I didn't want what I grew up with anymore. Riches weren't as great as they seemed. And I wasn't happy then like I was now.

A small house in a nice town outside of the city. He could find work, and I could make the meals so when he got back late at night we could eat dinner together. We'd make it work, love always finds a way.

But all that dreaming was short-lived.